Spanish Honor Society celebrates Dia de Los Muertos

Pan de Muertos is a sweet bread eaten on special occasion in Latin America. Spanish Honor Society students celebrated Dia de los Muertos with this bread. Photo by Aditya Krishnan.
Every year, Halloween is celebrated across the world on the final day of October. In Mexico, however, only a day after a night’s worth of trick or treating, Halloween is overshadowed by the celebration of “El Dia de Los Muertos,” otherwise known as the Day of the Dead.

On Wednesday, Nov. 4, members of Spanish Honor Society gathered in room A211 for the club’s first Dia de Los Muertos celebration to learn more about the holiday and the festivities that take place.

“I feel that the club wasn’t as organized last year and part of our initiative this year was to have more celebrations and incorporate more of Spanish culture,” officer Arjun Subramanian said.

Officers, including Subramanian, led members through activities while also serving food important to the festival and its traditions.

Papeles picados

Papeles picados are decorative crafts made by cutting designs out of paper. Here, SHS members use tissue paper to create their designs.

Spanish Honor Society students celebrate El Dia De Los Muertos on Nov. 4. Junior Sid Sharma and other members created papeles picados to decorate the room.
Spanish Honor Society students celebrate El Dia De Los Muertos on Nov. 4. Junior Sid Sharma and other members created papeles picados to decorate the room. Photo by Aditya Krishnan.

Although most members had never made papeles picados before, they enjoyed the bonding activity.

“I think it’s a good feeling to try something new and see your work be accomplished,” sophomore Yang Yi Li said. “These designs are very colorful and enjoyable.”

After students finished cutting out their designs, they hung them for display at the front of the room.

“I think all of the designs on display look really cool,” sophomore Roshan Fernandez said. “It’s unlike anything that we do here in America.”

Pan de Muertos

Pan de Muertos is a type of sweet bread that people in Mexico and other Latin American countries make for special occasions like Dia de Los Muertos.

“There were two main reasons why I joined SHS: getting better at speaking Spanish and the food,” Fernandez said.

The delicious sweet bread disappeared in moments.

Story by Aditya Krishnan and Vanessa Qin.