Exchange program invites students to a global experience

Last+year+approximately+20+students+from+CUSD+and+FUHSD+attended+exchange+program.+Students+who+will+visit+Hsinchu%2C+Taiwan+in+April+have+the+opportunity+to+take+photos+and+share+them+with+students+in+the+following+years.+Photo+from+flickr+user+edumariz+%28creative+commons%29.+
Last year approximately 20 students from CUSD and FUHSD attended exchange program. Students who will visit Hsinchu, Taiwan in April have the opportunity to take photos and share them with students in the following years. Photo from flickr user edumariz (creative commons).

On Jan. 23, students from both FUHSD and Cupertino Union School District will meet in the Cupertino City Hall to learn more about Cupertino’s Hsinchu exchange program.

At the meeting, the program leaders plan to give an overview of the program based on their experiences last year, answer questions and have former participants talk about their experiences in Hsinchu,Taiwan. This year’s trip will be from April 13-20.

Chia-Ching Lin, a program leader, hopes that students who choose to go on the trip will become immersed in the language and culture of Taiwan and learn to appreciate the differences between American schooling and Chinese schooling.

“[I think students should go to Hsinchu] to experience a different culture and be able to appreciate our [American] culture as well,”  Lin said. “As long as you’re open-minded and have the interest to go, anyone who belongs in the Cupertino district can [enjoy this program].”

Some examples of the places the students will visit include a glass factory, a typical school and the lively night markets of Hsinchu.

Last year, approximately 20 students visited Hsinchu via the exchange program. Because the program first opened up to FUHSD last year, there were only 3 students from MVHS last year.

According to Eric Yang, another program leader, students do not need to learn Mandarin in order to go on the trip.

“In the past we did have students from India or the [USA] that went to Hsinchu,” Yang said. “They might have some training from a language immersion program but regardless the students and the host families [in Hsinchu] generally speak English, although they might not be as fluent.”

The exchange program will meet for an informational meeting Jan. 23, at the Cupertino City Hall at 7 PM.