Electrical fire damages house near school

The+front+view+of+8093+Presidio+Drive.+An+electrical+fire+started+around+midnight+on+Feb.+25.+Photo+by+Joyce+Varma.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Electrical fire damages house near school

The front view of 8093 Presidio Drive. An electrical fire started around midnight on Feb. 25. Photo by Joyce Varma.

The front view of 8093 Presidio Drive. An electrical fire started around midnight on Feb. 25. Photo by Joyce Varma.

The front view of 8093 Presidio Drive. An electrical fire started around midnight on Feb. 25. Photo by Joyce Varma.

The front view of 8093 Presidio Drive. An electrical fire started around midnight on Feb. 25. Photo by Joyce Varma.

Joyce Varma

Multiple homes evacuated on Presidio Drive following fire.

Updated on Feb. 25 at 7:35 p.m: a video of the electrical fire, used with the permission of Kourosh Saleminik, was added to this story.

An electrical fire took place around midnight, lasting into the early morning of Feb. 25, in a house located on 8093 Presidio

A view of the fire damage caused to the upper floor of owner Jim McAuley’s house. The McAuleys and their neighbors evacuated their homes after discovering the fire. Photo by Varsha Venkat.

A view of the fire damage caused to the upper floor of owner Jim McAuley’s house. The McAuleys and their neighbors evacuated their homes after discovering the fire. Photo by Varsha Venkat.

Drive. The house is owned by James McAuley.

“I just remember there were fire engines, and they told us to leave because they were worried it would come to our house too,” said Whitney Tan, the McAuleys’ neighbor and an MVHS alumna. “I feel bad for our neighbors, and I haven’t seen them around too much, but I’m hoping to help them in any way I can.”

Construction workers work in and around the house on the morning after the fire. Photo by Joyce Varma.

Construction workers work in and around the house on the morning after the fire. Photo by Joyce Varma.

Tan and her family were informed by the McAuleys of the problem around midnight and said that the sheriff and members of the fire department arrived later.

According to the McCauleys’ other neighbor and MVHS alumnus, Raj Dedhia, the fire started around

2 or 3 a.m. and was caused by an electrical problem. Dedhia was not home at the time but said that his parents were asked to evacuate as a safety precaution.

Check back for updates.