Online study tools give students a method to enhance their education

Reading a 200 page book or tackling a large amount of difficult math problems can be time consuming and an inefficient way of learning. Doing that much work could also be challenging due to high difficulty. To combat such problems, students look to many online resources that help them enhance their learning in the classroom.

Freshman Udbhav Venkataraman uses the website Khan Academy as a study tool to improve her understanding of concepts taught in her classes. She believes that Khan Academy benefits her a lot, particularly in subjects like math.

khan academy picture
Khan Academy is a widely successful online study tool used by students across the world. Graphic by Khan Academy.

“It gives you another way to look at concepts or, in the case of mathematics, a new way to solve math problems and do them faster,” Venkataraman said.

Despite being able to expand on her understanding of math, Venkataraman believes that websites like Khan Academy present a few detriments to learning.

“Sometimes it might just give you the wrong understanding of concepts,” Venkataraman said. “If you do what they tell you by yourself rather than talking to a teacher about it first, it might send you on the wrong track in a class.”

Senior Brandon Lee expanded on the idea that online study tools may negatively affect the way students learn.

“Online courses can’t help you learn a subject that well, especially if you haven’t developed a strong interest for that class,” Lee said.

Lee believes that a strong interest for any subject is essential in order to get the most out of studying. If that passion grows enough, online study tools can then help students with adding to their already developed interests.

“If you are interested in a course, an online website could help provide another dimension to your learning even though it may not help you learn a subject from scratch,” Lee said.

Along with Khan Academy, there are many online study tools that MVHS students use. AP Chemistry teacher Kavita Gupta has her own website that she implements into her course. Gupta’s website is an example of how online study tools have become a huge sensation for MVHS students and the usage of such websites by teachers is only growing and students will benefit tremendously.