Taking a walk with the new face of MVHS basketball

As the field hockey players rack their hockey sticks and the football players hang up their helmets, winter sports begin their four-month long seasons. Former boys basketball coach Clay Stiver stepped down this year as he said he decided to put more time into his college classes, working towards his masters in Counselor’s Education. Along with a younger lineup compared to last year, the team also welcomed a new coach.

The new coach Jim Forthoffer is currently a teacher at Mountain View High School and had previously coached basketball in the Mountain View-Los Altos Union High School District, at both the junior varsity and varsity levels. There, he was also named CCS Coach of the Year. Last year, both Mountain View teams were league champions. Before Mountain View HS, he coached at Palo Alto HS where he won a CCS title, as well as the All-Star Coach award.

El Estoque had the opportunity to take a walk with the coach and learn more about his experience and to see him interact with his new players.

Listen to the podcast below to hear about the new coach and his thoughts about the upcoming season.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/294199093″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]
About the Contributor
Rana Aghababazadeh, Co-editor-in-chief
Rana is a third-year member of El Estoque and is currently a co-editor-in-chief. She is a former sports editor and enjoys covering basketball and volleyball. In her free time, she enjoys playing movie scores on the piano and watching Billboard's Top 50 hip-hop and R&B Songs of the Week.