Book Club: Teacher Ashley Stolhand’s first book

Image from public domain

History and Spanish teacher Ashley Stolhand still remembers the pride and accomplishment she felt after finishing the novel “Black Beauty” as a young kindergartner. When she was first learning how to read, her grandfather had spent hours guiding her through Anna Sewell’s novel about the journey of a horse living in 19th century England.

“I was just learning how to read, so he would read [most of it] and I would read little parts of it,” Stolhand said. “And I’ll never forget feeling so proud and accomplished that we had sat down and read this book.”

Even now, years later, Stolhand still has the original book, which was once owned by her great-grandfather. She reads it from time to time, because the book brings back memories for her.

“It’s the fact that my grandpa taught me how to read in this wonderful scenario, sitting down and reading it. So I loved it,” Stolhand said.

12837701_1580270152298771_957020270_o

The book has followed her throughout her relationship with her grandpa. When he had Alzheimer’s, before he died, Stolhand would sit down and read the book to him. And although his memory was no longer as reliable as it was before, there were still some memories he was able to keep.

“He remembered reading [Black Beauty] with me,” Stolhand said. “My grandpa and I read a lot of books together. Everyone in my family read with me. I think that’s one of the most important things you can do for a kid.”