Drama’s ‘The Addams Family’ is hilarious and refreshing

It’s the Addams Family *snap snap.*

The MVHS Drama Department brings this beloved undead family back to life with its hilarious adaptation of “The Addams Family” musical. The production, directed by drama teacher Sara Capule, portrays a beautiful story of love, family and friendship that is skillfully made into a comedy, complete with perfectly timed quips, impressive music and effortless dance numbers.

“The Addams Family” depicts the love story of a grown up version of Wednesday Addams (junior Skyler Barr) and her very “normal” boyfriend, Lucas Beineke (sophomore Ben Pribe). He’s everything the Addams’ despise – a man who’s sweet, normal, wears bright colors, and worst of all, from Ohio. And now, Wednesday wants to marry this down-to-earth Ohioan boy. She confides in her father, Gomez Addams (senior Zach Sanchez), that they are engaged and begs him not to tell her mother, fearing that she won’t approve. Gomez has never lied to his wife, Morticia (senior Janani Vijaykumar), but in an effort to make his daughter happy promises to keep Wednesday’s engagement a secret. But when it comes to the Addams family, nothing goes as planned.

The play was refreshing and funny, often sending its audience into fits of laughter with jokes that were relatable, modern and perfectly timed. Senior Alexis Standridge had the audience in hysterics with her performance as the crass old Grandmama Addams, delivering lines like “Call me a cougar but ten dollars will get you five minutes if any 90 year old hotties out there are looking to take their teeth out and chow down on a grandma sandwich.” Not only was the play itself funny, but Drama also used subtle technical touches like lighting to enhance the comedic effect. Spotlighting Gomez each time his daughter or wife asked him about the secret he was hiding gave an effect that emulated breaking the fourth wall.

As this was a musical, a live band played at the front of the auditorium, led by band teacher Ricky Alegria, and all songs were sung live by the cast. For a high school production, both the band and actors’ execution of the songs was incredibly impressive. Choir teacher Shari Summers assisted the production by acting as a vocal coach for the department. Although it was difficult to hear the ensemble at times, overall, the music was beautifully done and the catchy songs are sure to be stuck in your head for days to come. Along with every song came a dance number, choreographed by dance teacher Dascha Plaza. Each was sharp and in sync, making the cast look like one cohesive unit as they danced and sang on stage.

The set design, although static for most of the play, was well constructed and thorough. Details like tombstones of the Addams Family’s dead ancestors that were placed in front of the front row of the auditorium and Gomez’s “torture devices” show just how much effort must have gone into making the props and set and brought the scenes to life.

The cast skillfully brings out the personality of each character, especially the dark and creepy side of the Addams’, seamlessly bringing the audience along a story of star-crossed lovers that tests the true strength of family. Light-hearted and funny, “The Addams Family” is a perfect play for any musical lover, Addams Family fan, or just someone looking for a couple of laughs.

If you haven’t watched Addams Family yet you can still catch the show on Fri 3/25 And Sat 3/26. Get tickets for $12 at seatyourself.biz/montavista or for $15 at the door.