Book Club: Physical Education teacher Julie Sullivan talks about her favorite novels

With a busy lifestyle, it’s hard to find time to settle down and enjoy a good book. Yet physical education teacher Julie Sullivan always attempts to make time to read, though she is constantly working out or playing sports.

“I don’t have as much time to read books now that I’m working out a lot during school days, but I definitely try and make space for one or two,” Sullivan said.

However, during vacations, when Sullivan has plenty of time, she finds that she’s usually travelling. Carrying a plethora of books around is burdensome, and Sullivan prefers reading on a Kindle to a hardcover book, because she finds that it is easier to carry a Kindle around, rather than several hardcopy books. She also believes that travelling with a Kindle is easier.

“If you run out of books, you can download a book right away. I love the Kindle,” Sullivan said. “It’s great when you have big trips and you only have to carry one thing, that one device.”

As a former special education English teacher at MVHS, Sullivan was allowed to choose a few of her own books for the curriculum, and enjoyed teaching Harry Potter to her students. Having also read Twilight, she enjoys a lot of the books that the younger generation reads.

“My daughter, she’s in college, and she reads a lot of the teenage stuff, like vampires. I wasn’t really into the whole vampire idea, and I read it, because she asked me to read it, and she got addicted to the whole vampire thing,” Sullivan said. “I’m like ‘honey, you’ve got to go outside, instead of just reading vampire books,’ but now, I think those books are really well done.”

Below, Sullivan talks about some of her favorite books.

untitled-banner (5)