Marquesas gone wild

Marquesas gone wild

The Marquesas tearfully say goodbye during their senior night

"Compared to most shows, we had less promotion for 'The Jungle Beat!,' " senior Rotem Shaul said two weeks before the show. It's show day, and there is a full house. Looks like the MVHS Dance Team's popularity advertised itself. Behind the curtain, the Dance Team pumps themselves up with rally cheers, while the cheerleaders sit anxiously, waiting with the audience.

In other words, the MVHS Dance Team community sits nostalgically, both sad and excited for the seniors' — an especially larger portion of the team this year — last show.

The hosts, seniors Will Amoura and Christopher O'Leary, begin the jungle adventure, boldly introducing the team as fourth place winners at Nationals. In perfect formation and bright, never-ending smiles, the entire team starts out positive with the dance number "Love is Gone," choreographed solely by the 2010 Dance Team officers.

The team quickly and smoothly switches gear. Clad in elegant long purple tank tops, the girls slide gracefully in a lyrical piece with heavy emotion in their moves, showing high versatility. The audio however did not play so smoothly. But the team continued dancing with no music, right on cue when the music stopped lagging. The audience screamed uncontrollably, supporting their team during the mishap and also in awe at the team's dedication and skill.

Yet, the team could not magically change outfits. And to help buy time were Cheer and Song, pulling out special and extended routines not usually seen during rally days. Amoura and O'Leary kept things honest and funny.
"Song gave us a really long description of themselves we're supposed to say," Amoura said.  "But basically, they're a hybrid of the dance and cheer teams."

The team came back with radically different looks and props. The team futuristic, as the Medium Competition section of the team performed "21st Century Life" using an abundance of level changes and pirouettes. Next, "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" brought blond wigs, glittery necklaces and 1950's attitude to the stage when the Marquesas transformed into  Marilyn Monroe.

Other acts included the Dance Academy USA Production Company, composed of little girls who shockingly matched up  to Marquesas' skill, leaving the audience's prior ageism judgment in shambles. Professional ballroom dancers Simon Orlovsky and Lucy Chibukcchyan — featured on national TV  during "Dancing with the Stars"— wowed the crowd. Lastly, when social studies teacher Bonnie Bleshe screamed "I love this song!," teachers had a blast on the dance floor in a "Glee" style flash mob.

Solos of course were included. Juniors Kelly Woodruff, Teresa Li, Carolyn Chang had fluid arm movements and high leg lifts mixed with deep emotion, ensuring the team will continue on the 2010 legacy. Seniors Frances Jih, Katherine Ong and Maayan Cogan had their own personalized solos, gathering cheers and plenty of astonished faces from the crowd as the girls made their last stand.

A few songs after the current team's first place kick routine, the  Dance Team 2010-2011 brought fresh faces and fresh moves to the gym floor as they danced a lyrical, "Titanic."

The show ended with the same energy it began with. Every performer got back up on stage dressed up as every jungle animal imaginable, coincidentally representing the immense diversity in dance style the team brought. Undeniably, the team ended the year with a showstopping bang as coach Hilary Maxwell said goodbye to the seniors with final thank you's mixed with many hugs and flowers.