Drama’s “Footloose” is humorous yet poignant

Drama’s adaptation and performance of the 1984 film “Footloose” is brimming with the broken rawness of a town and people ravaged by a tremendous loss. In this small town with too many wounds and memories, the refreshing passion of the young contrasts the severity, which comes with pain, of the old. It is the story of an outsider who fills a place that never quite healed with music, dance and joy. It is the story of a city boy and a country girl who heal their scars with love.

Ren McCormak (senior Akshay Savale) teaches Willard (freshman Jeremi Kallkowski) a couple of dance moves to impress his crush. Kallkowski then proceeded to show off his moves in a brightly themed dance number. Photo by Caitlyn Tjong.

“Footloose” follows the life of Ren McCormak (senior Akshay Savale), a city boy from Chicago who, with his single mother, moves to the small town of Bomont in search of a new beginning. Bomont, Ren soon discovers, is a sad little town with hard laws and no dance. These conditions came to be on a night of a fatal accident by the bridge that involved liquor, music and dancing. Its people are hurting and falling apart. And it is amidst such brokenness that Ren befriends Willard (freshman Jeremi Kallkowski), a tough yet comical Southern boy, and falls for Ariel Moore (junior Emaan Khan), the rebellious daughter of the town’s austere reverend. The audience is taken on these adolescents’ impassioned yet lighthearted journey to return the spirit of dance and fun to the town, whose people ultimately learn that forgetting is perhaps remembering.

The story was told through a combination of songs and dialogue, and the transitions between the musical numbers and scenes with dialogue were seamless. Most of the music that accompanied the play was performed live by a band, and all vocals were sung live by the cast. For a high school production, the vocals and each actor’s range of notes were quite impressive. Although at times it was difficult to hear the actors when the band was playing, the overall execution of the music ought to be sung with high praise.

The senior class of Bomont High holds a dance party to celebrate dance and the freedom of forgetting, or being on loose feet. “Footloose” exhibited poignant, realistic portrayals of family and town relationships, with the addition of witty humor. Photo by Caitlyn Tjong.

The musical contained several dance numbers expected of an adaptation of “Footloose”. Savale exhibited a sense of effortlessness and fluidity in his dance moves as he simultaneously sang, danced and conveyed emotion through vivid facial expressions. The main characters as well as the ensemble remained relatively in sync with the music as a cohesive unit.

The actors created a balance between the more serious scenes with a good number of well-timed quips that had the audience hooting with laughter. Wendy Jo (sophomore Christina Schuler) and Urleen (junior Ally Tsvinev), Ariel’s friends, brought the audience to hysterics with their silly remarks and impeccable delivery of well-timed jokes, serving as comic relief.

The juxtaposition between humorous scenes followed by more emotional ones was prominent throughout the play. The segments in which Ariel argued with her father (sophomore Nelson Niu) displayed a mixture of both sadness and anger as beneath hardened exteriors, both characters still reeled from a tragic loss. Niu demonstrated an admirable sense of maturity and allowed the audience to find him somewhat relatable to their own parents.

The performance was received with a standing ovation from several audience members by its end. Conveying humor, raw emotion and impressive vocals and dancing, this production showcases the musical, dancing and acting talents of all cast members no matter the sizes of their roles.

Buy tickets to watch Footloose this weekend on March 27 and 28 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $12 at seatyourself.biz/montavista and $15 at the door.