Girls Tennis hopes to win CCS for fourth year in a row

Last year, the Girls Tennis team won Norcals and CCS for the third year in a row. This year, the reigning champions hope to continue their streak despite the loss of several key players.

Coach Gene Fortino

El Estoque: How do you feel about this year’s team?

Fortino: We did lose a lot of our top players, not all of them, but around four of our top six. But we got freshman, new girls from JV and returning girls who are a little stronger. So, I’m feeling pretty optimistic, and I think we’re going to have a pretty solid team this year.

EE: What is your goal for the team this year?

Fortino: I just want to see how far we can get. I think this year, everyone thinks we’re going to be a bit down because we’ve lost quite a few players. It’s really hard because there’s a lot of tough teams out there and a lot of teams are fairly close. This year, there are seven to eight teams that could win it whereas most years, there are only one to two strong competitors.

EE: Is there anything that you’re hoping to improve on from last year?

Fortino: I’m hoping we don’t get hit with the injury bug. A few years ago, we had a lot of injuries going into the playoffs. In the past, we might have been able to get through them, but we just don’t have that kind of depth anymore. That’s really my main concern. Other than that, just staying consistent and avoiding the clump we fell into last year.

EE: What are the team’s strengths this year?

Fortino: Their enthusiasm, their desire to win and prove wrong the people who think we’re not going to be as good without some of the key players we lost this year. Saratoga High Schoolis our biggest competitor this year but there are so many good teams that it’s going to be a really good year from a fan’s point of view.

Senior Nicole Stomakhin

El Estoque: What are your personal and team goals this year? 

Stomakhin: Our team isn’t as strong as it was last year, but our goal is to still make it to CCS. I’m okay with not winning though because for me, this year is mostly just to take it easy, have fun, and make the most of my senior year. I’m hoping for a carefree tennis season. For me personally, I’m playing two singles this year so I just want to do my best in all my matches.

EE: How do you plan on leading the team – what’s your leadership style?

Stomakhin: I’m really loud so mostly just try to be optimistic, pump the team up before a match, and encourage them to try their best out there. I’m going to try to be a relaxed, optimistic captain and just be there for the team when they need me.

EE: How does it feel knowing this will be your last year playing for MVHS?

Stomakhin: It’s really sad because the team’s pretty much like my family,and I’m going to miss them a lot. I’m just going to try to have fun and enjoy it as much as I can before it’s over.

Junior Shaili Davuluru

El Estoque: What’s your personal goal for this year? 

Davuluru: In regards to stroke, I have a really weak backhand and I’ve been working on it for a long time so I want to get it right this year by specializing in that when I practice.

EE: What do you think are the strengths of this year’s team?

Davuluru: This year, we have new people coming in, so it’s going to be better in that way. Our captains are also good and very organized, whereas last year, both of our captains were injured for the majority of the season.

EE: How do you think playing on the team as an upperclassman is going to be different than playing as a sophomore or freshman?

Davuluru: I think people are going to expect more of me. When I was a sophomore, I could rely on the upperclassmen to carry the team because they were supposed to be better than me. This year, I have to meet the higher standards that others will have and the expectations that I’ll have for myself. I’ll definitely be dedicating more time to tennis and working harder in practice.