Three Leadership sections merged into two

District anticipates budget cuts, takes early action to save money

On May 12, previously accepted Community Leadership members were no longer guaranteed their positions, and instead found out about another round of interviews which would determine if they would keep their positions or not.

Deans of students Denae Moore and Michael Hicks were informed an hour before their lunch meeting with ASB and Community Leadership applicants that the two classes were to be combined for the coming 2011-2012 school year. The 27 students selected for next year’s Community Leadership class were informed  of this change by Assistant Principal Trudy Gross at a lunch meeting on May 12. The only members guaranteed spots were elected candidates, such as class and ASB officers, Link commissioners, and Community Leadership’s Executive Board. Although Moore and Hicks have not reached an exact number of students for the combined class, they estimate it to be around 60, as opposed to the current total of approximately 90 students.

Sixty ASB Leadership applications were combined with the 27 Community Leadership applicantions for the new Leadership class which will only accept approximately 60 of them. Photo by Sara Yang.To break the news to the Executive Board and ASB officers, Hicks and Moore gathered the classes to share what they knew, and solicited feedback and suggestions. Yet, according to Moore, nothing has been confirmed for the structure of next year’s class.

“It depends on what position [the Community Leadership Executive] Board takes in the class, whether they serve as one group of leadership or branch out as leads of other commissions,” Moore said. “We don’t even know if we’re going to have commissions. We just asked the students to wipe the slate completely clean.”

Next year’s class, though different in many ways, will preserve events that the ASB officers and Executive Board have labeled as “must-have” activities, such as Homecoming, Battle of the Bands, and more. Nonetheless, the focus of these “must-have” activities may change, or these activities will be merged with others in order to reach a broader audience. For example, Open Mic Night and Battle of the Bands may be combined together to raise more  money.

“I think it is a really good idea, because [though we might have] half of the events, they will be better and easier on the students too,” ASB IDC Representative junior Neil Fernandes said.

Similar to Fernandes, Moore has been hearing a lot of positive feedback and excitement from the students.

“I hope that the kids learn to think differently about what it means to be a leader in their school setting and in the local or global context,” Moore said.

Though some students were excited with the new plans, and put their faith in advisers Hicks and Moore, the questions of why the drastic change was made in the first place still remained. According to Moore, FUHSD made this change in anticipation of possible budget cuts two years from now. Currently, the schools are funded by property taxes paid by Cupertino residents who voted for temporary increased taxes to fund schools.  

Even with these temporary increased taxes, the schools are still on a tight budget. If the California state legislature does not pass the increase in tax extension this November, then what Superintendant Polly Bove calls “fair-share cuts” might occur, forcing the schools to make accommodations for their losses. To avoid such a situation, the already conservative FUHSD was quick to cut back in any way possible, one of which was to become more strict on the sections of classes schools were allotted, and the reduction of any unnecessary classes.

“[FUHSD] is always looking to be one step ahead and not throwing away money that we can’t afford down the road,” Moore said.

MVHS currently has three sections of leadership classes due to the large number of students total in both classes, while the four other FUHSD schools only have one section. According to Moore, it seemed only logical for FUHSD to make the cut.

Unfortunately, this cut was made after Community Leadership selections were announced, causing some confusion amongst the students who were previously admitted but now have to reapply. Some of those who were accepted to or applying for the classes are currently doubtful of their chances of making the cut due to the higher standard and more selective criteria being placed.

Junior Shreya Chandrasekhar was accepted into the Global Outreach commission for Community Leadership, but had to be interviewed again for the combined class.

“[No one] really knows what’s going to happen yet,” Chandrasekhar said. “I am excited but I’m kind of nervous because I really wanted to do Community Leadership and if I don’t get in that would be kind of devastating because I don’t have another year [to reapply].”

It is likely that in the future, FUHSD may need to make more budget cuts to other class sections in order to remain financially stable and accommodate for the students’ course selections.But for now, this will be the only class they cut.