Control-C Silicon Valley

Control-C Silicon Valley

Russia is going to attempt to copy Silicon Valley

·

Silicon Valley is a technological and innovative hotspot, and Russia wants one too. So,they are going to “copy/paste and condense” the Silicon Valley, American-esque suburbs, vodka bars and all, to a city right outside of Moscow. 

In hopes of diversifying their economy, Russia wants to move away from oil and toward science and technology. Thus, they are going to build a city brimming with engineers. While they’re at it, they should even add some palm trees. Pity they wouldn’t survive the brutal Russian winter.

This copycat city has a high chance of failing. Shove a bunch of brilliant engineers together, and they’ll run as smoothly as their programs, which is great for a company. Problem is, there’s no innovation if they all just stand there and take orders. Silicon Valley is what it is because the ideas that abound here can revolutionize the way we live. 

Every start-up company that sprang up in Silicon Valley had a vision that they were working for, something that they were passionate about. Larry Yang and David Filo had Yahoo!, Larry Page and Sergey Brin had Google, and Steve Jobs had Apple. It’s these ideas that draw these genius engineers from all over the world, not the other way around. The fact that they just happened to be in Silicon Valley could almost be inconsequential. After all, Dell is in Texas. 

Russia can stuff as many geniuses in one city all they want, but it probably won’t get far without any spark. If the government thinks of the projects for them, who’s going to bother doing anything? Other countries can “copy/paste” Silicon Valley as much as they want, but if they don’t have any fresh ideas, it’s not quite going to work. 

Also, did I mention that Sergey Brin is from Russia?