Music: ‘Undun’ does the unthinkable

The latest album in the Roots lengthy career does not disappoint

To most, the Roots are simply Jimmy Fallon’s house band on his talk show. However, The Roots have actually had a long-established and immensely respected hip-hop career and recently released their latest album, “Undun.” The album does a whole lot more than do their reputation justice — the Roots may have created the best album of 2011.

“Undun” is centered around the fictional character Redford Stephens, a man who has achieved moderate success in the drug trade before he dies an ultimately pointless death. To make matters more interesting, the album chronicles Stephens’ story in reverse chronological order. The opening track, “Dun,” is simply the sound of a flatline from a heart monitor with a choir singing in reverse, ending in a man’s scream. It then seamlessly transitions into “Sleep,” which chronicles Stephens’ final thoughts before death along a minimalistic beat and a soft, near-whisper of a chorus. Each following track shows Stephens earlier and earlier in his criminal career, doing an excellent job of putting a man’s life in perspective. As the story distances itself from the ending, the tone becomes more and more excited and optimistic. The track “Stomp” for example, takes place before a gang battle when Stephens still had something resembling excitement over his criminal career.

Fortunately, the Roots have supplied beautiful, yet haunting music to support their fascinating tragedy of a story. The lead MC of the band, Black Thought, raps fluidly and powerfully, making sure each verse leaves its own unique impact on the listener. His voice is filled with crackling energy and wisdom, leaving the listener completely entranced. The Roots are known for writing cautionary tales based on people they once knew, and in “Undun,” it is clear they are doing the same. Every rapper featured on the album has traces of pain and regret in their voices as they continue the telling of Stephens’ downfall.

Through Stephens’, the Roots constantly reiterate how pointless a life of crime is. It may seem like an obvious, overdone theme visited by thousands of books, movies and music, but the Roots bring something new to the table through Stephens’ utter remorse over his decisions. Instead of generalizing the evil and futility of crime, The Roots give you focused, tiny, horrifying examples of what this lifestyle will do to you.

If a mother is worried about the glamorizing of crime in her children’s music, she should scare them straight with the Roots’ cautionary tale.

And no public service announcement can match that.