Sports flash: Dec. 2011 issue

Sophomore Faris Karaborni attempts to take down his opponent. Photo by Elvin Wong

WRESTLING

Their first league match will be against Wilcox High School on Dec. 15. They expect a winning record this year with new coach Kevin Klemm.

Senior Jordan Sheade prepares to shoot in an afternoon practice. Photo by Rachel Lu.

BOYS BASKETBALL

They held a 4-8 league record and 8-16 overall. Nine seniors now lead the team with new coach and counselor Clay Stiver. Highly anticipated games against rival Lynbrook High School on Jan. 6 and 27 will make this a season to look forward to.

Junior Malvika Mecker runs after the ball on the soccer field. Photo by Yaamini Venkataraman.

GIRLS SOCCER 

Last yearís team finished the season with a 5-4-3  league record and were 8-8-5 overall, but suffered a disappointing defeat  in the CCS quarterfinals. This year seniors Claire Nastari and Gabby Ley will be among the top players to watch for.

Senior Steffanie Sum takes her shot during a practice in the gym. Photo by Rachel Lu.

GIRLS BASKETBALL

After a tough season in the De Anza League with a 1-11 record last season, the team moved down to the El Camino League. Featuring a smaller lineup, the team is led by returning seniors Steffanie Sum and Hitomi Sugimoto.