Back to winning ways

Back to winning ways

The varsity boys soccer team beat Wilcox 3-1 in a non-league match

After a series of losses in league play, the varsity boys soccer team traveled to Wilcox High School on Jan. 12 where they pulled off a 3-1 victory.  

The Matadors opened up the game with a goal from junior Joshua LeFevre, who currently leads the team with 11 goals.  This was the kind of start the team was looking for after letting in three goals in the first seven minutes in their first league game against Milpitas High School. 

"It was about coming out stronger with the right mindset," junior Guy Sarfaty said.

With strong defensive play, the Matadors ended the first half up 1-0.

The second half went equally well, with the Matadors doubling their lead after sophomore Malek Bashti drew a penalty and drove the spot kick into back of the net.  Later, junior Jeremy Dor made the score 3-0 off of a ball that deflected off the goalkeeper before rolling into the net.

The Matadors showed improvement in their defensive game — something that the team knew that they needed to work on heading into the game.

"It was about picking up the man when they switch the ball," junior Yash Chitneni said.

With the win, the Matadors had an opportunity to reflect on their gameplay.

"[Wilcox] is weaker and a division below, but a win is a win," Sarfaty said.  "I feel like it is a [confidence booster] to get our wins in to end our bad streak."

The Matadors will be heading into their next league game against Gunn High School on Thursday, Jan. 14 at home. 

{cc-by-nc-sa}