Winter Guard starts second season

Winter Guard starts second season
With the football season coming to an end, members of the MVHS Marching Band are packing up their instruments for the year. But the MVHS Color Guard team isn’t storing away their flags and rifles just yet. Instead, they’re looking for new members for their seasonal team — MVHS Winter Guard.

Winter Guard, while almost identical to traditional Color Guard, is a competitive sport performed indoors, with the season beginning in winter and ending in spring. During the fall season, the Color Guard team focuses on performing with Marching Band, but Winter Guard’s focus shifts to competing against other guard teams in The California Color Guard Circuit, ultimately leading up to the most anticipated performance at the regional championships which, this school year, will take place at Independence HS on April 7.

Since the Color Guard team only became official in February of 2015, MVHS has only had one season of Winter Guard. But the team looks forward to their second season and held auditions Monday, November 13 and Friday, November 17 to recruit new members to the current Color Guard team to create their new Winter Guard Team. Color Guard team members Junior Emma Thompson, sophomore Lauren Hu and junior Sara Goel, who were all part of Winter Guard last year, took the time to share some pieces of advice for these new members. Scroll through the photos below to see what they said.

Not to be intimidated by other guards. We are all here for the same reason. If anything, they should be intimidated by us because we crushed it last year (3)
sara

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 9.15.13 PM