Straying away from sports: MVHS reflects on national flag protests

Sports protests filled television screens and Twitter feeds the weekend of Sept. 24. LaSean McCoy, running back of the Buffalo Bills, stretched during the national anthem, while singers Megan Lindsey and Rico Lavelle knelt after singing the anthem. A total of 24 out of 32 NFL teams had players protesting — by kneeling, linking arms or raising fists — on Sunday.

Colin Kaepernick started kneeling during the national anthem one year ago to take a stand against police brutality and the oppression of African Americans and other people of color, and recently athletes have been showing increased support for Kaepernick and #TakeAKneel. The weekend of Sept. 17, only six athletes actively protested. But this weekend, more than 100 NFL players staged a protest, largely as a response to tweets that President Donald Trump posted over the weekend.

Even in Wembley Stadium in London, more than 20 members of the Baltimore Ravens and the Jacksonville Jaguars knelt, and others linked arms to demonstrate unity against oppression. But the spirit of protest wasn’t limited to just people of color or NFL athletes. On Sept. 23, Bruce Maxwell, catcher for the Oakland Athletics, was the first MLB athlete to kneel during the national anthem.

Amidst all of Trump’s complaints about the NFL, including a suggestion that team owners should fire players that knelt during the national anthem, Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors declined the invitation to the White House that the team was given. Trump proceeded to uninvite the Golden State Warriors from the visit that champions traditionally participate in.   

To which LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers, arguably the most notable rival of the Warriors for the past few years, had one thing to say.

Take a look below to see what MVHS students had to say about the role of sports in politics, Trump and James’ tweets and peaceful protest.

1

Anjini Venugopal
Anjini Venugopal, Staff Writer
Anjini Venugopal is currently a senior and previously served as beats editor for El Estoque. She is quite fond of music and coffee. When she isn't reporting, she's likely to be found sitting with a book.