Verdadera: The future revealed

Just like its English translation, Verdadera is all about truth. It’s about promoting transparency and effective communication throughout the MVHS community. For junior Adriana Getman, who joined in her sophomore year and will continue her current role as editor-in-chief next year, that is what makes the publication unique.

“When I first applied to Verdadera, I thought that it was a really interesting publication,” Getman said, “because… it asked for submissions from the student body and tried to… get people talking about controversial topics and be an aid for students for their mental health or for anything they feel like they want to get off their chest.”

Roll over the images to see more details of each month’s issue.

This past school year, because of the disparities between the role of staff writer and that of editor-in-chief, Getman admits that the reputable position took her some time getting used to.

“As general staff members, our main role is to brainstorm topics and go through submissions and in general, the workload isn’t that demanding,” Getman said. “But as editor-in-chief, I have to make the entire issue on InDesign, which takes a lot of time, so getting used to that was challenging, but it also helped me learn a lot [about] designing.”

In addition to these responsibilities, the end of the school year calls for the introduction of new members to next year’s staff. The editorial team follows an application process consisting of a Google form and a follow-up interview in order to get a sense of the personality and work habits of each applicant.

“We pick people who we know will be on top of themselves and who don’t need to be managed that much,” Getman said. “[When] we interview all of them, [we try] to get a sense of them as a person and tried to get a sense of where they would fit in on staff.”

On the other side of the application is freshman Lucy Liang, who has been given a position in graphic design for next year. Before being selected, Liang had a background in design from the club Design It.

“That’s how I realized there were actually a lot of things you could do with design. That’s kinda how I got into it,” Liang said. “Next year, I just want to learn more about graphic design and see what happens and [get] more experience.”

With the new members selected and the year coming to an end, Getman’s goals for next year are to promote the publication more and to develop and refine it with the help of the especially large design staff.

“It’s sad that it’s the last issue of the year, but because I’m going to be on staff next year, I still have a whole ‘nother year to explore topics, so that’s kind of exciting,” Getman said. “This year’s ending, but I have another year to work with and grow the publication.”