Softball: Nail-biting senior night game against Los Altos HS ends in victory

It was the bottom of the sixth inning with the score tied at 0-0 against Los Altos HS on May 11, and the crowd was beginning to grow restless. MVHS was up at bat, but the scoreboard read with two outs, and it seemed as if this inning would be scoreless just like the past five. The team needed a win in order to keep their CCS playoff hopes alive. Suddenly, a loud clang reverberated through the field. Senior Hailee Huber’s bat had made contact with the ball. The crowd erupted into cheers.

“You know what, it was two outs,” Huber said. “It was the bottom of the sixth, and I was like, ‘I’m not trying to play another inning.’”

Huber hit a line drive, which bounced multiple times along the right field line and missed the outfielder’s glove by a matter of inches. Huber rounded the bases for a triple, providing the spark that blew the game wide open. The Matadors went on to score five runs that same inning and defeat LAHS 5-0.

Softball pic2
Sophomore Irene Mcnelis slides into second base as the LAHS shortstop attempts to tag her out. The team scored all five of their runs in the sixth inning. Photo by Roshan Fernandez

With the win over LAHS secured, the Matadors were able to enjoy the senior night ceremony after the game. Flowers, posters and speeches were given by coach Ray Teixeira in honor of each of the team’s five seniors.

“All five seniors have been on the varsity team all four years,” Teixeira said. “They’ve matured greatly from the beginning of their time here. Their first season here was really rough for them — we didn’t do too well until now, where we’ve been in the playoffs for the past two years and maybe this year.”

softball pic 3
The team’s five seniors pose for a photo together after the game. They were presented with flowers and posters, along with a speeches from their teammates. Photo by Akshara Majjiga.

Junior Ann-Marie Manley and sophomore Molly Huang, who were involved in the organization of senior night, acknowledge that although senior night can be stressful and the energy associated with the night is evident. Senior night can be bittersweet for seniors and their teammates, especially one that ended with a victory in which multiple seniors were able to play a large role.

“[Senior night] is stressful,” Huang said. “You want to make it perfect for these girls who have made such an impact on your life; like the seniors this year, they’ve all helped me so much through softball, and even life… They’re just so great, and you want to make the night special for them because it’s their last home game.”

As the ceremony came to a close, Manley noticed the shift in leadership that was likely to take place in the following year. Manley has been on the varsity team with these seniors for the last three years, making it particularly difficult to watch them go. As a senior next year, Manley will have to take on a larger leadership role on the team.

“You kind of have to step up to the plate and be a leader,” Manley said. “And you’re an automatic leader [when you are a senior], and a lot of people put respect in you, and they trust you so that’s what it means to be a senior.”

Look at the photos below to see how the Matadors defeated LAHS in a thrilling senior night game.

Softball vs Los Altos- Senior night

Softball will play their CCS semifinal against Homestead HS on May 25.

Additional reporting by Anthony Moll, Anjini Venugopal and Sannidhi Menon.

About the Contributor
Roshan Fernandez, Co-Editor-In-Chief
Roshan is a senior and co-editor-in-chief for his school's publication El Estoque. He enjoys writing, reporting, interviewing and photography. He was previously a sports editor and a visuals editor in his junior and sophomore years respectively. When he is not writing for El Estoque, he can be found playing soccer or spending time with friends.