It’s a date: March 2017

Sure, I’m free that day, what do you want to do?

Spring Break may be a month away, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still take a break from school. Travel around Cupertino and San Jose and attend these upcoming events to relax. From the MVHS musical “The Little Mermaid” to the magic of a Harry Potter orchestral concert, come and see what the community has to offer.

March 13: Silicon Valley Reads Film Series

Time: 6 p.m.- 9 p.m.

Location: Bluelight Cinemas

The Cupertino Library Foundation sponsors showings of films adapted from novels like “Unfair” by Adam Benforado and “Writing My Wrongs” by Shaka Senghor. Participants view a new film each Monday and Wednesday evening from March 6 to March 22. The event is free, but space is limited.

March 17: MV on the Grid

Time: 5 p.m.-8 p.m.

Location: MVHS

The event includes various activities such as raffles, music and features food trucks selling Mexican food, boba and more. There will also be special performance from MV Bhangra, Raas, Variations and other performers. All profits will go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The event is open to everyone.

March 18: World Water Monitoring Challenge

Time: 10 a.m.- 12 p.m.

Location: Blackberry Farms

This free event at Blackberry Farm invites everyone to come and learn more about the quality of water in Stevens Creek, the importance of watersheds and how to effectively preserve the creek’s water. High schoolers can volunteer as monitors for the water activities during the monitoring challenge.

March 18: SJSY Spring Concert

Time: 4 p.m.- 6 p.m.

Location: California Theatre

The San Jose Youth Symphony Philharmonic Orchestra is having  obe of its three annal concert at the California Theatre. All are welcome to come out to the theatre to listen to and appreciate what the music world has to offer. Ticket prices ranges from $5-20.

March 24: The Little Mermaid

Time: 7 p.m.- 10 p.m.

Location: MVHS Auditorium

Members of the MVHS Theatre Arts present “The Little Mermaid,” a musical directed by Drama teacher Sara Capule. The play is based off of the version from Musical Theatre International. Although the plot and characters differ from the Disney movie, the play still has the same familiar songs and characters.

April 1: Harry Potter Concert

Time: 2:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Location: San Jose Center for Preforming Arts

Symphony Silicon Valley presents music from the movie version of “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.” Audience members will be able to watch the movie with live accompaniment from the orchestra. The price for this magical event ranges from $45-95.