Art Club: How to: Figure drawings

Figure drawings are an essential part of any artist’s portfolio, because they allow for an artist to demonstrate their abilities in capturing the human form. These drawing are especially important for those applying to art schools or any upcoming competitions. Scroll through the gifs below to see how to make figure drawings for you own portfolio.

Step 1: Find a model–  this could be a friend or family member, or even someone you see on the street.

Step 2: Set a timer for yourself, so that you make sure you are not focusing too much on getting it perfect, and get drawing. Keep your movements light and sketchy. Don’t worry too much about getting all the details.

“Figure drawings [are meant to] help with the artist’s understanding [of] the human body and the composition of it,” junior and Art Club Treasurer Ashley Chang said.

And that’s it! Make sure to keep practicing until you are confident you can capture the model’s form in a few light strokes.

Priya Reddy
Priya Reddy, Staff writer
Priya Reddy is a senior at MVHS, a third year staff member and a managing editor. Priya was a multimedia Special Report editor her sophomore year and a print Special Report editor her junior year. She likes to read, watch trashy action movies and take long naps.