Science Olympiad videos are useful for increasing members’ communication with officers

The best ideas often come over a chat and a cup of coffee. So it’s no surprise when Science Olympiad president senior Kush Shanker and vice president senior Shruti Satrawada sat down to have lunch at Boudin early this academic year to find solutions to some of the club’s problems.

A couple problems they identified were how they should teach material to new club members and increase the amount of communication between members and officers. Over lunch, they came up with a solution to resolve both problems: livestream videocasts.

“The purpose was that in the past years, people had trouble with the preparation for events and so they just didn’t know where to start,” Shanker said. “Communication was lost so [we officers] thought we’d bring [members] information through these video casts.”

Every livestream videocast is on YouTube, so club members have no trouble logging in when necessary to learn material pertaining to their specific competition. There are three teams competing and members are divided into these teams based on what competition they want to perform in and where they are academically strong. But many times, the problem isn’t learning the content— it’s finding where to start in the first place.

[embedyt] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3wjJzmtxFI[/embedyt]

Used with permission of Angela Chau 

“They see [the videocasts], know where to start to preparing for their events,” Shanker said. “And they just rock it from there.”

Event captains are responsible for creating these video casts. The content can range anywhere from discussing robotic arms and the role of neurons in creating action potentials to explaining how questions are formatted in these 50-minute tests.

“People said that it was helpful, that it was easy to use,” Shanker said. “And the event captains were on point with all the information.”

[embedyt] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0fKAY-mDDI[/embedyt]

Used with permission of Piyush Sud