The dilemma over the library’s floor

Class of 2018 Social Manager Nathan Ang likes to curl up next to the window on the ground with a good book. But because of school library policy, he was asked to get up and move.

Students sit on and near the library floor. Library media teacher Laura Utile said she is flexible when students are working near the windows and out of the way.

When Ang learned that he wasn’t allowed to be on the ground in the library, he created a poll within the MVHS 2018 Facebook group asking whether or not kids should be allowed to sit on the floor in the library. Ang said that nearly all of the respondents agreed with his proposal to loosen up the rules to allow students to sit on the ground in the library.

Similarly, Class of 2019 Social Manager Pramodh Srihari feels the rule should be changed as well. Following Ang’s lead, Srihari created a poll within the MVHS 2019 Facebook group with the same question and the overwhelming majority responded by checking the option saying that it’s a “stupid rule.”

“Everyday during tutorial when I come in [the library], there’s no space, there’s a line outside,” Srihari said. “I feel like we should be allowed to fit [inside].”

Both Ang and Srihari see the opportunity to sit on the ground as a way to deal with these issues. By changing the rules and allowing this to happen, they believe the lines could potentially be alleviated. People wouldn’t have to race through the halls to claim a spot.

Sign from the Fire Marshall.

Currently, the library rules can be found within the student planner. They make no mention of sitting on the ground. Legally, however, the library cannot seat more than 210 people because of fire restrictions.And according to Library Media Teacher Laura Utile, at any given time, the library only has 10 extra spots if all seats are full. Taking into account the number of students standing at any given time, Utile guesses that the library goes over its capacity regularly. Furthermore, there would be no way of knowing how many students are on the ground at any given time.

Utile is sympathetic towards students when it comes to this rule. She is willing to compromise when it comes to certain rules about seating arrangements, and even lets students sit on the ground if they’re working against the windows.

Because of the legal ramifications, according to Utile, it’s doubtful that the rule will change. Ang, Srihari and other floor-loving bookworms will need to compromise with Utile about their favored reading position.