Girls water polo: MVHS defeats Milpitas HS 22-1 on Senior Night

Co-written by Ruth Feng

MVHS defeated Milpitas HS with the overwhelming score of 22-1 in their last home game of the season on Oct. 20. MVHS started off strong against MHS with shots on goal just as the game began, giving the team a 2-0 lead. After a goal by junior Sarah Tom brought the score to 3-0, MVHS scored two more times in the first quarter.

sdfbsd
Junior Neha Mylvaganan prepares to pass to a teammate during the second quarter. MVHS later scored to make the score 6-1. Photo by Sannidhi Menon

When the second quarter began, an MVHS sprinter reached the ball before MHS’ sprinter, allowing MVHS to maintain possession of the ball to start the second quarter. MHS blocked an attempt and soon scored a goal of their own, bringing the score to 5-1. MHS rebuttal was followed by three consecutive goals by MVHS.

dsc_0449
Freshman Ashley Tom scores against MHS during the second quarter. Consistent offense played a key role in the team’s victory. Photo by Sannidhi Menon
Senior Shannon Reid looks for teammates to pass to during the second quarter. Reid, the only senior on the team, finished her three years of playing MVHS water polo with a win in her final home game. Photo by Sannidhi Menon

At halftime, the team shared their fond memories of senior Shannon Reid, the team’s captain and only senior, who has been with the team for three years.

MVHS meets during halftime to discuss their strategy for the second half. Strong offense and defense helped contribute to the team’s overwhelming victory. Photo by Sannidhi Menon

In the third quarter, MVHS scored five more times. Sophomore Julia Loretto was hit in the face, but despite the injury she scored, making MVHS’ lead 14-1. Sarah Tom also scored with six minutes left in the third quarter. Reid then scored, bringing the score to 16-1. She then scored again off a pass from freshman Ashley Tom.

Junior Olivia Lassa looks for an opening during the fourth quarter. This is Lassa’s third year on the team. Photo By Sannidhi Menon
Junior Olivia Lassa looks for an opening during the fourth quarter. This is Lassa’s third year on the team.
Photo by Sannidhi Menon

MVHS continued to score five more goals, with junior Olivia Lassa making the last goal of the game. The final score was 22-1 in MVHS’ favor.