Possible loss of summer school may leave children behind

Budget cuts bring an unfair dearth of options for students seeking remedial courses.

Kids can be a drain on money and resources. And it seems that California is running a bit low on both.

Due to budget cuts, the possibility of summer school is beginning to look more and more bleak. According to a memo from superintendent Polly Bove published on School Loop and on the school Web site, students may not have the chance to make up courses over the summer. Teachers and administration have also been told to encourage students to pass classes now since summer school’s future is looking pretty overcast, with a good chance of rain.

So what happens to the students that can’t make the cut on their coImageurses? While counselors and administration are sticking to Bove’s answer—”We don’t know yet! Work harder!”—it seems mostly clear what will happen. It’s not like the California State Budget will suddenly expand to accommodate summer school if it can hardly allow for a limited program for seniors to fill their graduation requirements. Even California School Boards Association president Paul Chatman recently announced that many middle and high school electives will probably be cut as well.

But here’s the sad part: according to californiaprogressreport.com, in three years, California went from its original rank of number 44 for per pupil spending to number 46 in the nation. We’re four states away from being at the bottom. That means California is currently in the bottom ten percent of the nation in education. That’s an F. And making an inference based on the current budget’s shortfall, that F isn’t likely to go up anytime soon.

The possibility of summer school’s imminent demise isn’t quite in keeping with the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. It would be reasonable, then, to assume that in the case of summer school being canceled, a lot of children will be left behind. And if the state budget continues to tighten the monetary noose on education’s throat, those children will stay behind.

Time for some proper homeschooling, California. Oh, if only.