Trend Report: Summer 2016 Recap

Co-reported by Mallika Singh

Pokémon Go
Popular app

brar_j, pokemon go how to download and play pokemon go, in india and all over the world, free dcmot, July 16, 2016 via Flickr, Creative Commons Attribution

On July 6, the iOS and Android app Pokémon Go was released in Australia, New Zealand and America. The location-based virtual reality game quickly climbed up to the top of the app list and garners around 21 to 22 million daily users, according to data from SurveyMonkey. Some features that set it apart from previous Pokémon games include being able to join one of three teams (Mystic, Valor, or Instinct) and being able to control gyms. Head outside to catch ‘em all!

S’well water bottles
Health and fitness

Inhabitat, S’well Spring, December 23, 2012 via Flickr, Creative Commons Attribution

S’well water bottles have shot up in popularity since 2015 mainly from “staying on trend” by appearing in partnerships with celebrities and appearing in events like NY Fashion Week, according to Business Insider. The sleek bottles come in a variety of styles and are designed to keep drinks cold for 24 hours and hot for 12. S’well bottles are also environmentally friendly, and S’well has donated $200,000 since 2015 to UNICEF.

Poke bowls
Popular food

stu_spivack, Lomi-lomi salmon, May 31, 2008 via Wikipedia, Creative Commons Attribution

Poke bowls, essentially raw fish salad, are considered the next big food trend by Eater and various other websites. Its popularity stems from consumers being able to customize and choose from a variety of fish including salmon and ahi tuna, various vegetables, and toppings and sauces such as avocado, edamame, sesame seeds, ponzu and chili sesame. Give this quick, affordable, and healthy food a try at Go Fish Poke Bar, Hawaiian Poke Bowl and Poki Bowl.

Stranger Things
Popular show

Lowtrucks, Stranger Things logo, July 22, 2016 via Wikimedia, Creative Commons Attribution

Stranger Things, released on July 15, is the hit Netflix-original drama that pays homage to 1980s pop culture. When Joyce Byers, played by Winona Ryder, realizes that her 12-year-old son Will is missing, she launches an investigation with local authorities. As they search for answers to his disappearance, they discover a series of extraordinary and horrific mysteries surrounding their town.

100 coats/layers of (foundation, nail polish, lipstick, etc.)
Popular on Youtube
100 layers

The trend began with Youtuber Simply Nailogical’s “Polish Mountain”, where she applied 100 coats of nail polish onto her nails. Shortly after, various Youtube beauty gurus have come up with their own challenges, such as 100 coats of mascara, lipstick, foundation, hairspray or in the case of Youtuber Jenna Marbles, “everything.” These videos are the definition of extreme.

#KimExposedTaylorParty
Trended on Twitter
Tensions heated up again in July between Taylor Swift and Kanye West when Swift denied giving West her stamp of approval for his racy lyrics about her in his song “Famous”. West’s wife Kim Kardashian quickly jumped to his defense and released a series of Snapchat videos that revealed Swift approving part of the lyrics, exposing Swift’s lie to the world. This shocking move prompted the hashtag #KimExposedTaylorParty on Twitter, and many on social media are eager to see how the drama will continue from there.

Jennie Chen
Jennie Chen, Staff Writer
Jennie Chen is a senior and third-year staff writer on El Estoque, and has previously served as the beats editor and the PR editor. In her free time, she enjoys reading various articles and blog posts.