Boys volleyball: Matadors push past Saratoga HS

Story by Om Khandekar and Aditya Pimplaskar

Prior to the game, the Matadors experienced a sense of urgency as they realized that their undefeated league record could be threatened by Saratoga HS’ dominant hitters and the absence of star senior Alex Li. On the sidelines and not dressed out, Li sat out the entirety of the game with an eye injury. Nevertheless, the Matadors approached the game the same the way they had all season: win now, worry later.
“We had a game plan to load up the block,” head coach Paul Chiu said. “And essentially dare anybody else to beat us… and it worked.”

Junior Prathik Rao jumps as he serves the ball to SHS. Although MVHS struggled with missed serves early on, they defeated the Falcons.
Junior Prathik Rao jumps as he serves the ball to SHS. Although MVHS struggled with missed serves early on, they defeated the Falcons. Photo by Aditya Pimplaskar

The Matadors went to work against the Falcons on Mar. 30 and defeated them in straight sets (25-19, 29-27, 25-19).
“I think without Alex, one of our star players, we really had to pull together as a team and rely on underclassmen,” senior Eric Zhang said.

Starting off slowly in the first set, it seemed as though SHS and their outside hitter, junior Joel Schneidmiller, could break the Matadors’ momentum. The Matadors trailed at the beginning thanks to missed serves and errors. However, they bounced back as sophomore Jason Shen and senior Ethan Kulla found their groove. Kulla’s hits began to rack up and the Matadors found themselves up 18-14. The Matadors extended this scoring streak and Shen cleaned up the set with a kill from opposite, ending the set with a score of 25-19.

As the second set was drawing to a conclusion, tension began to rise in the MVHS crowd as the score started to sway between the two teams. Already a close game at 16-15, it seemed as though a concentrated push by SHS could bring the game back within reach for the Falcons. Schneidmiller led the way with a series of kills and soon the Falcons were a point away from evening the sets at 1-1. Åt 23-24, the Matadors faced the Falcon’s serve on game point. However, MVHS evened the score at 24 with a sideout kill by Shen. On the following play, SHS hit into the net, switching the game point to MVHS. The tension mounted with each new point scored, but ultimately this rally of exchanged points drew out the second set in the Matadors’ favor. Although there were many errors on the MVHS side of the net, MVHS prevailed on two errors from Schneidmiller, which ended the set 29-27.

MVHS attempts to block a hit as SHS hits into the net. The Matadors' blocking played a key role in MVHS' success.
MVHS attempts to block a hit as SHS hits into the net. The Matadors’ blocking played a key role in MVHS’ success. Photo by Aditya Pimplaskar
“I think at the end of the set,” Senior Eric Zhang said, “Ethan [Kulla] got set and tried to hit it off the [opposite guy’s] hands, and it worked absolutely. It hit it off his hands and went out of bounds and got a kill. It was a really pivotal moment, and after that we pushed through points and we won.”

The third and final set started slowly and lacked the same tension as the second set. Even with a lackluster start, however, the Matadors’ were able to pick up their momentum and finish the game strong.

“Coach said just put down our errors, because they weren’t doing anything special or making errors, it was all our mistakes.” senior Nathan Mallipeddi said.

Consistent play from Mallipeddi and junior Yash Hedge, bolstered MVHS’ third set run. MVHS exhibited strong blocking and hitting, along with trick plays by senior Eric Zhang. Although the Falcons made a short attempt at a comeback at the end of the set, consistent play earned the Matadors a 25-19 victory to seal the match 3-0.

“We found ourselves in a tight set,” Mallipeddi said, “but in the end we made the good plays and we made it out.”

MVHS vs SHS Boys Volleyball 3/30/16

Photos by Om Khandekar and Aditya Pimplaskar

The Matadors will face St. Francis High School at home on Apr. 5 at 6:45 p.m.