Borderlands: Inner circle

Left to right: Freshmen Elizabeth Giterman, Sarvagnya Chodavarapu and Sadhana Indukuri sit together at brunch on Jan. 11, facing the bus circle. The three have sat here all year, and spend their lunches on these steps as well.
It’s their favorite location for a simple reason: the quietness. And while the steps overlooking the bus circle keep freshmen Elizabeth Giterman, Sarvagnya Chodavarapu and Sadhana Indukuri tucked away from the rest of the school during brunch and lunch, it’s hardly quiet. The little island lacks the usual ambient noise of students milling around and chattering about teachers and grades and each other, but there’s another little world for them to observe: a street with cars passing by and trucks unloading supplies, and most memorably, a passenger sticking their feet out of a window as they sped down McClellan. These freshmen are too young to drive, but they’ve spent their year in a parking lot.

Coming into high school, all three of them worried about where they would sit, and eagerly chose a spot as soon as they could. Their sectioned-off sanctuary means that they’re rarely disturbed, but their tight group has been infiltrated at least once.

A student approached their group, claiming to be a tenth grader without any friends, and asked if she could join them. Chodavarapu happily agreed. But according to the freshmen, the next day they found out that it was a prank and she had her own group of friends.

“She came up to [Chodavarapu], a really nice person,” Giterman said. “She never says no.”

Though it was awkward, the girls aren’t bitter.

“She was a good actress,” Indukuri said, shrugging. And the mysterious tenth grader became another story they tell, another experience they bond over, like hating the Seahawks and bullying each other in third grade.

They haven’t entertained the idea of moving to a better location if a spot opens up.

“I don’t think there’s any place better,” Indukuri said.

“This is good for us,” Chodavarapu said.