Borderlands: Ultimate fields

via GIPHY

A crowd bustles throughout the field. Behind it, a pair of boys moves along a straight line, plunging their knees into the grass in cadence. The crowd kicks a ball. The pair flicks a frisbee across the sky, using different techniques at every catch and throw. The crowd wears MVHS uniforms. The pair represents different high schools by pure coincidence — senior Charles Chen showcases his usual purple t-shirt. Richard Kim in his third year of New York University, puts on an “LAHS” sweatshirt as an alumni of Los Altos High School.

Their passion for ultimate frisbee fueled their initial encounter last summer. Invited by some MVHS alumni, Kim met Chen at a game held by MV Ultimate Frisbee. After few exchanges of words and frisbees, the two players developed a bond that lasted months on different coasts, leaving some laughable moments to remember.

“[One time] I was stuck shopping with my family. I kept messaging this guy and complaining to him,” Chen said. “And then he started sending me photos of girls saying, ‘Let’s go shopping. It’ll be fun.’”

“And guys sitting outside the store all miserable,” Kim said, grinning over the fond memory.

Though they have a fair share of non-ultimate-frisbee moments, they admit that their friendship revolves around the sport. A frisbee brings them together again on this cold winter afternoon — Kim takes on the role as a coach, training Chen to become a better player. Nevertheless, their sense of humor is not lost in the coach-student relationship.

“If [the frisbee] is in the air, he’s not going to catch it,” Kim said, jokingly.

Once Kim returns to college after winter break, the pair won’t share a frisbee for another stretch of time. But they will meet again someday, and hopefully by then, Chen can catch that frisbee in the air.