Another kind of polo

Senior Sid Sharma demonstrates a forehand shot, using his bike as a mock horse. In order to perform shots in polo, Sharma learned how to stand on a galloping horse.

Updated Jan. 10: A previous version of the story that appeared on Jan. 7 included an incorrect grade level. The misstatement of grade level has been corrected.

When asked about his extracurriculars, junior Sid Sharma used to say that he plays “polo.” However, people in the area would always misinterpret his statement, falsely assuming that he meant water polo. But rather than putting on a speedo, Sharma puts on a helmet and shin guards and climbs onto his horse.

Sharma’s story begins 5,000 miles away, in the UK. In his hometown of north London, people still stroll some of the streets on horseback. At the age of eight, Sharma began riding horses himself. He first trained for dressage, during which he went through an obstacle course on horseback.

When he moved to California, horseriding became less accessible, so his riding practice became inconsistent. However, in seventh grade, Sharma found and began the sport he still plays today: polo.

“My dad was also into [polo],” Sharma said. “It’s such a unique sport that I wanted to try it out myself.”

A polo ball that Sharma practices with lies in a crack in Monta Vista Park’s sidewalk. Polo balls are extremely hard, making them a potent hazard in a game for polo even with proper helmets and face masks.
Sharma and his dad began playing at Menlo Park. They found an interscholastic high school team, headed by coach Jed Scheraga, that plays indoor polo during the winter. The 28-mile round trip was long, but Sharma loved the game.

Horses carry their riders at 40 miles per hour, so fast that the game is split into 7 1/2 to eight minute chuckers, or sections, to allow the exhausted horses to be switched out. As the horses’ hooves pound the floor in full gallop, players must direct their horses with four different reins while striking the polo ball with accuracy, all while planning strategy to get the polo ball into the opponent’s goal.

“If you fall off at 40 miles per hour, you can imagine how dangerous that would be,” Sharma said. “It’s one of the most dangerous sports in the world.”

Sharma’s polo hand-mallet lies on a sidewalk in Monta Vista Park. Because his normal polo mallet is too long, Sharma uses a shorter hand-mallet to practice in parks, often bringing his dog for a game of fetch.
In addition to helmets and knee padding to prevent injury from falling, polo players must wear a facemask to protect from the heavy polo ball. Sharma himself once fell off his horse, but luckily, he was not severely injured.

“You can’t fully domesticate a horse,” Sharma said. “The can spook, they can buck and the rider can fall off.”

Yet, the fast-paced aspect of the gameplay is what excites Sharma the most. Though the game is dangerous, Sharma continues to drive 14 miles to Menlo Park three times a week for practice. He cherishes his moments with all the polo players he can find. He spends time with his dog in parks playing fetch with a hand-held mallet and polo ball. Among a sea of water polo players, Sharma continues to stand up in his saddle and swing at the polo ball, as a polo player.