Indo-American Student Association changes its policies for Spotlite on India

Every year in May, IASA hosts Spotlite on India, a series of singing and dancing acts dedicated to showcasing Indian culture. This year, IASA has introduced new policies regarding the show. Co-presidents Niti Pawar and Janani Vijaykumar introduce their new policies and explain the reasoning behind them.

When asked about their opinion on the changes, sophomore Aurum Kathuria was unaffected. Kathuria only plans to participate in Spotlite through dance team MV Andaaz and thus the new time limit for the fashion show does not make a difference to him. He was surprised, however, to learn about the changes to the number of acts.

“[Limiting the acts] would be a really shorter show so if they planned to keep it at the same price, the people would ask ‘Why are we getting less for the same price?’” Kathuria said.

Senior Kinnari Shah does not think that the length of the show was a valid reason to cut down the number of acts. Instead, she proposes an alternate solution in order to shorten the show.

“Either increase the number of group members or decrease the time limit [of each act] instead of cutting down the act,” Shah said.

Shah, who is also planning to participate in three dance groups, commends the idea of having the song choices sent in later rather than sooner.