Music: Broken no more

Demi Lovato graces the cover of her third album “Unbroken” featuring a wide range of songs from casual party tunes to serious and personal reflections. Photo by Rachel Lu.
Last year, singer and actress Demi Lovato checked herself into a rehabilitation program after personal insecurities that have led to eating disorders, self-mutilation, and depression finally caused a public breakdown. But there are no breaks for her as she quickly returns to work with a brand a new CD “Unbroken” which was released on September 20.
The album art features Lovato in stark contrast from her previous covers, mainly the muted and darker colors have now replaced the pink and red she used before. Overall she has created a more mature look; it is almost a shock that she is still a Disney star.

The first three songs are upbeat, peppy and suitable for parties, and unexpected turn from her hit single “Skyscraper” that reflects the deeper facet of her personality. Songs like, “All Night Long” featuring Missy Elliott and Timbaland and “You’re My Only Shorty” featuring Iyaz are very risque especially for a 19-year-old Disney star. In this way, Lovato separates herself from the typical bubble gum pop generation of singers who sing about relationships and certain days of the week (Friday, anyone?). This can be a blessing and a curse as her songs are not cheesy, but lack unique differences from songs heard on the radio today.

If there is any reason to buy her CD, it will be for the heap of signature Lovato melodies that eventually return. They easily match or even outshine songs by other stars meant to motivate and inspire others. These songs like “Lightweight” and “For the Love of a Daughter” have a much more serious tone, replacing the electronic beats with light instrumental music that highlight her powerful voice and wide vocal range.

The lyrics definitely display her experiences over the last year with words like, “I’m a lightweight, easy to fall, easy to break.” Again, it is unexpected that this CD was released under Hollywood Records due to the heavy lyrics, some even speaking out on her strained relationship with her alcoholic father. Her personality takes over here, stepping away from the generic music that uses average electronic tunes and mediocre lyrics to create hits. Only she could have created this CD.

Still, her songs can occasionally slip into those hyped-up generalities. Even some of those with deep lyrics carry surprisingly perky tunes. Maybe that is her way of revealing the new “unbroken” version of herself. Yet she compensates for them through the sheer honesty of her lyrics combined with her powerful and ranged voice. It seems that being a Disney or any kind of child star leads to a stint in rehab like Britney Spears, probably Miley Cyrus at some point, and Justin Bieber when Selena Gomez breaks up with him. But all stars make a comeback, eventually. Lovato definitely made hers quickly.