Wrestling: Team wins the Cupertino Cup after a dominant performance

The Matadors wasted no time in securing bragging rights for the city of Cupertino.

The MVHS wrestling team competed for the Cupertino Cup against Cupertino High School on Jan. 29.

“This is gonna be fun,” senior Max McCann said. “Cupertino is gonna be fun.”

The Matadors enjoyed a dominant duel with only three of the Matadors losing their matches, and eight total pins.

One of the most impressive Matadors was freshman Owen Malone, who down 12-6 at the end of the first period, fought back and pinned his opponent Rohan Galotra.

“Malone was wrestling one of Cupertino’s best guys and he fought his tail off. He was down but never done, that is what we work for,” coach Ian Bork said. “Win or lose a complete effort is what you love to see.”

Another standout was senior Leon Rovner, who straight out of the gate relentlessly attacked his opponent Newad Habtum. Rovner managed to pin Habtum in less than forty five seconds.

“Rovner is just one of those guys, he is really rising as he realizes just how good he is. He is a freak physically and it is connecting mentally now,” Bork said. “He was named captain and I’m expecting big things from him.”

Facing adversity was junior Adam Rizk who weighs in at 225 but wrestled up a weight class in the 285’s against the Pioneer’s big man David Li. Rizk was quick to attack and over time he wore down Li until he could end the match with a leg sweep takedown.

“Yeah. Adam hasn’t even really given up, he just fought, man,” Assistant Coach Luca Tani said. “That’s why he is so good, because he just works hard.”

“I’m glad that we beat our rivals and I’m glad we beat them in football too.” Bork said. ”Wrestling and Football are the two sports that turn boys into men, I think we got something special going on on this side of town.”

The results of the Varsity matches were:

126 Owen Malone Won by pin
132 Greg Ellis Loss by pin
138 David Troung Loss by pin
145 Max McCann Won by pin
152 Nick Kolesev Won by pin
160 Leon Rovner Won by pin
170 Kenji Kadokua Won by pin
182 Jeff Ellis Won by pin
285 Adam Rizk Won by pin
106 Jake Bornstein Won 10-3
115 Kishore Adimuliam Won by pin

The Matadors wrestle the Gunn Titans at home for their senior night on February 5, 2015.