The student-facility debacle

The student-facility debacle
INCONVENIENT TRUTH: With no other viable option to get around school, handicapped and injured students are left to use the elevators on opposite sides of the school. Photo by Kevin Tsukii.

Two elevators, four buildings, only five minutes. The frenzy, the hurry, the competition.  In short, life sucks when you’re on crutches or in a wheelchair.

According to a survey El Estoque conducted of 140 students,  40% of injured or disabled students would be late to class due to the inefficiency of facilities.  We need a better way, but there is no  other way.

The Americans with Disabilities Act requires that all public locations, such as public schools, offices, and malls give a method of transportation and use for those who are injured or disabled. All buildings that do not follow these rules will usually be  torn down and rebuilt again.  Naturally, our school follows the ADA restrictions as well: everything from the pool to the ramps to the science labs obeys the stringent ADA architectural regulations.

Although MVHS does abide by ADA requirements, getting more facilities—such as elevators, ramps, and lifts would certainly would make traveling to classes much easier for  handicapped or injured people. But that would mean spending more money. Everything costs money, and our school simply can’t afford everything. Some simple luxuries are priced at  more than they seem.

Take, for example, the nonexistent bridge from the C building to the D building. People have been talking about adding another bridge there since the dawn of time. But guess what? The production for the C building to D building bridge would cost about a million dollars. No joke. It has been brought up over and over again. The school even called an engineer over once to evaluate the cost and work needed for the bridge. It was just a no-go.

However, the faculty really is trying to do its very best to accommodate all of the students considering the dire circumstances—the budget cuts—that they have been working with. For that, they deserve a round of applause.

Also, if you have  ever wandered over to the B Building bathrooms, you have probably already noticed the big, wooden blockage in front of the entrance. Construction workers will be remodeling the bathrooms starting October. There has also been much talk amongst students and staff about the possibility of additional classrooms, a new cafeteria, and an extra dining area to make eating all the more easier for those who are handicapped.

So keep heart, MVHS. The administrators do care about us students. They only want the best for us and nothing less. Right now,  our school just doesn’t have enough cash and resources to fulfill your every wish and every desire.

At least, for now.

Creative Commons License
This work by Stephanie Chang is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.