Food: Nékter juice bar

Nékter Juice Bar is one of those places that you’ve most probably seen on Instagram — from the shop’s interior to the various juice and smoothie options, the refreshing fruits and vegetables provide for colorful photos and leave customers feeling guilt-free.

10675717_10152822358299510_2313306221987706928_n

Nékter’s rustic-modern style at a glance. The shop welcomes customers with fresh fruits and vegetable decorations accompanied by vintage furnishing.

The moment I walked in, I knew I was in for a great Saturday afternoon. The white tile walls along with the rustic wood counters paired with the decorative fruit basket accents give a fresh and welcoming look.

Of course, the wonderful interior only adds to the overall refreshing experience. An experience that costed me $6.95 + tax, but a wonderful experience nonetheless. I ordered an acai banana berry bowl, as recommended by the friendly cashier who accommodated to my indecisiveness.

l

Acai banana berry bowl and Acai tropical bowl from Nékter Juice Bar. Acai bowls make for a fulfilling and refreshing small meal.

My acai bowl arrived filled to the brim with a crispy granola and fresh bananas, blueberries, and strawberries. The acai on the bottom tasted like a Jamba Juice smoothie, so it felt like I was just eating a thick smoothie with a spoon and some toppings. It definitely would have been the ideal food to eat after an intense morning hike, but most likely not something I would choose to indulge in for a daily breakfast. Frankly, I think $7 is a little steep for a frozen-yogurt sized cup of blended acai topped with fruits and granola, especially since something like this could easily be made at home.

In fact, to test out whether or not these well-famed acai bowls and fruit juices are worth the price, I decided to try and make it myself. I went to Whole Foods and bought a frozen acai package, stuck it in the blender with a banana, poured it into a bowl and added some granola with  fresh fruit on top. I would say that the result was pretty similar to the acai that I had at Nékter, and probably half the price. Nékter is a great place to get your dosage of healthy fruit juices and smoothies, but at the same time, the beverages that are offered here are easily replicated at home.

1932240_10152822358779510_5590725266166942815_n

Homemade acai bowls using frozen acai, fresh fruits, and granola. These are simple to make, and can save a trip to the local juice bar.

Considering the fact that Nékter is about a 20 minute drive from Cupertino, I wouldn’t make a trip here just for the acai, though I have yet to try the well regarded fruit and vegetable juices. While I left Nékter feeling full and refreshed, I also wasn’t sure if the refreshment was worth what I paid. The product itself was definitely healthy and satisfying, but at the same time, could easily be replicated at home.