French Honor Society hold movie night

Food was available for students to eat while watching the films. It was organized as a potluck.

French Honor Society hosted a movie night on Nov. 22 in French teacher Sarah Finck’s room. The event had one fundamental purpose behind it: immersing members in French culture.

“It was both a bonding experience, and it held educational value FHS senior Samir Akre said. “It was really just a fun way to learn about French culture, ” said Akre, social manager of FHS.

One short movie, 30 minutes long, and a longer film were played — together totaling about two hours — and food was available.

“The movie night itself was a potluck of sorts, everyone brought something and ate everything,” said Akre.

Two films were played at the event, one of which was “The Necklace,” which is based off a short story written by Guy De Maupassant in 1884. The plot entails a poor woman who borrows a necklace from a rich friend only to lose it later. She spends a large part of her life working with her husband to pay it back only to find out that the necklace she lost was fake.This film was particularly chosen on account of the fact that most freshmen have read the short story in class.

“It was kind of fun for students that remember reading the story, a throwback to freshman year,” Akre said.

The second film, “La Havre,” is about a young African boy who ran away from home. The movie ran about 30 minutes long, giving the students a visual representation of culture in France and allowing them to improve their French language comprehension.
Junior Ramya Satish, the club’s secretary, described the process of planning the movie night as relatively smooth.

“There were no real obstacles while planning,” Satish said, “I guess promo-ing and getting people to come was something we spent time on and worked on, but that was to make sure people knew about it and came to the event.”

This event is just one of many that FHS plans to organize throughout the year.
“In the future we’ll have a ‘Franish’ event with the Spanish Honor Society people, the induction ceremony next semester, and definitely more future movie nights,” Satish said.