Students explore biomedical interests at Explore Careers! Activity

First Explore Careers! event of the year features 18 speakers from biomedical fields.

Every two years, MVHS holds Explore Careers! , a four-part event where students explore their interests by listening to various presentations. The first of the four installments took place on campus on Nov. 19 from 7:00 to 9:00 pm and featured 18 guest speakers in health-related careers. Speakers with backgrounds in fields such as cardiology, pharmacy, biomedical engineering, pediatrics and nursing spoke about their careers as well as their personal lives. Each students picked three guest speakers to see for three 35-minute rotations.

Psychology speaker Dr. Brian Sackett lectures about why he became a psychologist. Sackett explained the mental benefits attached to the profession and encouraged everyone with an interest in science and reasoning to explore the field.
Psychology speaker Dr. Brian Sackett lectures about why he became a psychologist. Sackett explained the mental benefits attached to the profession and encouraged everyone with an interest in science and reasoning to explore the field. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.

PTSA vice president Loy Oppus-Moe holds a list of all the speakers for the PTSA sponsored Explore Careers. Oppus-Moe feels that Explore Careers provides exposure to a variety of fields that many students would not imagine. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.

Nursing speaker Bonnie Hirsch discusses the perquisites of being a school nurse in the Cupertino Union School District. She deals with the major emergencies that occur in the district such as heart attacks and fibrillation as well as first-aid care. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.

Room C210 is packed as people watch the biomedical engineering presentation by Ms. Arthi Vijayaraghavan. Vijayaraghavan discussed the upcoming field of biomedical engineering and the skills needed to succeed in the profession. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.

Biomedical engineering speaker Arthi Vijayaraghavan answers questions posed by junior Kathy Guo. Vijayaraghavan discussed the hiring process for her company, ClearCost Health, and how many students fresh out of colleges get jobs if they have solid grades and show strong interest. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.

Several students wait outside room C110, where pharmacist Lola Kashyap is presenting. In her presentation, Kashyap explained the process of becoming a pharmacist and the various kinds of pharmacists in the workforce. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.
Several students wait outside room C110, where pharmacist Lola Kashyap is presenting. In her presentation, Kashyap explained the process of becoming a pharmacist and the various kinds of pharmacists in the workforce. Photo by Ashish Samaddar. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.

Junior Nupur Banerjee is a student host for Explore careers. Members of the National Honor Society, WiSTEM and the Biotech clubs assisted the speakers as student hosts. In addition, the latter two clubs assisted the PTSA in planning the event. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.

Personal training presenter Peter D’Epiro explains his interest in the field. He holds a great interest in physical fitness and enjoys having a career that involves exercise. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.

Pharmacist Lola Kashyap answers a question from junior Kirtana Sripathi regarding the field. At the end of the third Explore Careers! rotation, Sripathi had some lingering questions about what steps she would need to take if she wanted to pursue pharmacy. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.

Bioinformatics speaker Dr. Phil Strong lectures about an image of the kidney that was enhanced with bioinformatics.  According to Strong, the kidneys in the image were not functioning properly and merited an immediate check-up. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.
Bioinformatics speaker Dr. Phil Strong lectures about an image of the kidney that was enhanced with bioinformatics. According to Strong, the kidneys in the image were not functioning properly and merited an immediate check-up. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.

Biotechnology research speaker Dr. Julie Tai explains the career prospects and options in the biotech industry. Tai stated that while there are many options outside of medicine in the biotech industry, more biotech opportunities are available when you have studied medicine. Photo by Ashish Samaddar.

On Saturday, Nov. 22 at 4:42 P.M., a correction was made. National Honor Society, not Science National Honor Society, provided student hosts for explore careers.