Matador of the Week: Justin Cena

El Estoque: What have you been doing this past year or summer to prepare for this season?

Justin Cena: Since the end of junior season, I’ve been thinking of trying to play college football, so a lot of my off season consisted of working out, running, conditioning and basically getting my size up. I want to be at a college level size incase any recruiting happens. So, basically 5-6 days a week of working out and running.

EE: Did anyone help you through this training process?

Cena: We had a personal trainer, Christopher Cantwell, but he went off to college, so at that point it was just working out with my friends and doing on-field conditioning by myself.

EE: What are your plans for playing football in college?

Cena: Monta Vista isn’t a big time football school, so right now I’m working with my coach to get my name out there. After this season I’ll have a highlights video to send out to colleges. There isn’t a college in particular [I’m going for], I just wanna put my name out and see what happens.

EE: Thoughts on the season so far?

Cena: This season’s going great. People definitely underestimated us this season. We weren’t picked to win in a lot of games that we’ve played this year, but we came through and we hope to take league and go to CCS this year.

EE: Thoughts on recently breaking the top 5 rushing leaders in CCS?

Cena: All the credit goes to my offensive linemen and my receivers on the outside. If they don’t do their job then I don’t get credit for what I do, so before people give me credit, they should know that the offensive linemen and receivers are the reason I get to play my position.