Legislative council gives the student body an opportunity to voice their opinions

[soundcloud url=”http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/114488196″ params=”” width=” 100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /] [toggle_code title=”transcript”]This year, the Leadership program has made it a goal to be more inclusive and better represent the wants of the entire student body.

To achieve these goals, they created the Legislative Council in order to give students more power regarding events on campus.Once every month, an elected representative from each fifth period class will now attend a meeting in the auditorium to discuss, propose and vote on possible changes to school events and organizations.

Previously, decisions about student activities, such as dances and rallies, were drafted and executed without the student body’s prior notice or consent. The results were themes and events that weren’t necessarily what the students wanted.

Now, students can express their opinions concerning matters on campus and have the ability to influence school activities through their involvement on the council. For example, Legislative Council proposed the themes of the recent Homecoming dress up days. With ideas coming from the students themselves, Leadership can ensure that their events cater directly to the interests of the student body.

The addition of Legislative Council provides students with the means to have their opinions heard, and is a great way for Leadership to both promote inclusion and tailor school events to the desires of those they represent.[/toggle_code]