Girls Golf: One loss and one win

Despite a 227-207 loss against Homestead High School, Matadors receive first win in two years against Presentation High School.

Following freshman Amy Zhong’s lowest individual score of 41 strokes at the team’s first game of the year against Lynbrook High School, this gallery highlights her performance at the team’s second game against Homestead High School at Deep Cliff Golf Course.

[table class=”table_gray”]
[/table]

Following a losing streak in the 2012 season, the girls golf team won its first ever game in two seasons on Sept. 9 against Presentation High School 220-229. The scrimmage, held at Deep Cliff Golf Course, was between the freshmen, sophomores and juniors of the MVHS girls golf team and the junior varsity Presentation High School girls golf team. Junior Anika Singh and freshman Amy Zhong finished with scores of 40 and 42 respectively.

In its Sept. 11 game against Homestead High School, the Matadors lost 227-207 for an overall improvement of 4 strokes since its first game against Lynbrook High School on Sept. 5. Senior co-captain Natalie Ng and Singh tied with a score of 39 and senior co-captain Shruthi Perati received a score of 46.

“I think we’re really improving as a team compared to last year,” Singh said. “We’re already doing so much better. We already won a scrimmage against Presentation [High School].”

The team especially struggled with the water hazards on the third and seventh hole and the long sixth hole. However, the team achieved low scores throughout the course with four pars from Singh, two from Ng, one from alternate freshman Shriya Perati and one from junior Hershey Sriraman.

“I think a lot of the players that are newer will be working on gaining experience and getting comfortable playing in a competitive setting,” Shruthi Perati said. “For the more experienced members, it will be fine-tuning the skills they already have. As a whole, we’re also going to be improving our team spirit and doing a lot more bonding experiences later this season. So it’s exciting. It’ll be a good season.”