Movie: ‘The Place Beyond the Pines‘ features a twist on the father-son plot

Ryan Gosling plays Luke Glanton, an unemployed motorcycle stuntman who vows to take care of his newborn child –– even at the cost of breaking the law. Source: Focus Features

“The Place Beyond the Pines”, may seem like a classic crime movie, but at its heart, it explores much deeper themes. Overall, the film addresses the connection between father and son, and how someone‘s choices can affect those around them.

“Beyond the Pines” focuses on Luke Glanton (Gosling), a motorcycle stuntman who discovers he has a one year old child as a result of one of his previous flings. Glanton realizes the importance of fatherhood stating, “My father was never around for me, look how f***** up I am”. His baby’s mother, Romina (Eva Mendes) lives with another man who is supporting her. Feeling responsible for the child, Glanton takes it upon himself to utilize his expertise by robbing banks.

This is not a movie about robbing banks or cops chasing down criminals. At its core, “Beyond the Pines” is about decisions and how they affect the characters not only in the present but also in later generations.

After several successful robberies, Luke pushes his luck by attempting to rob two banks in one day. This brings Avery Cross (Bradley Cooper) into the story. Cross is a rookie cop with a law degree who has decided that legal work isn’t for him, much to the protest of his wife and father. The second half of the movie centers around AJ Cross and Jason Glanton, who become friends without knowing their father’s past.

Director Derek Cianfrance does a good job of incorporating music to enhance emotional scenes. The music used in the first half is also used in the second half, which makes for a neat feature because it helps establish the connection between the two generations, as the same tracks are used with corresponding characters. A repetitive piano chord is used during the more heartfelt scenes, and it really makes the viewers think about the bonds that the characters share.

The highlight of the film is easily from the beginning, Gosling and Cooper are both excellent in their roles. When Glanton is robbing the first bank, you can hear the hesitation in his voice and see him trembling. Cooper does a great job as a rookie cop, especially when he is alongside other policemen. He seems nervous, as if he doesn’t want be a nuisance, and he also seems afraid to fail. His small mannerisms truly add to his portrayal of a small fish in a big pond.

Though it is a two and a half hour movie, the pacing at the very beginning is rushed. While focusing on Glanton, it seems that in each new scene he is in, there is a huge new plot point to mentally digest. This took away from the experience, seeing as how Glanton had just been introduced.

Ultimately, “The Place Beyond the Pines” is a very well done movie that highlights the struggles of fatherhood and how those challenges are felt by the children themselves. The pacing is bothersome, but it is quickly overshadowed by fantastic performances by the two lead roles.