Food: Boudin SF at Cupertino a clean break from the original

The differences between Boudin SF at Cupertino and the flagship restaurant at Fisherman’s Wharf are obvious as soon as you walk in: the walls are yellow plaster instead of glass and steel, and the structure of the restaurant is casual order-and-go. Also, customers eating at the tables order food at the counter, and then wait to be served. Photo by Yimeng Han.
The differences between Boudin SF at Cupertino and the flagship restaurant at Fisherman’s Wharf are obvious as soon as you walk in: the walls are yellow plaster instead of glass and steel, and the structure of the restaurant is casual order-and-go. Also, customers eating at the tables order food at the counter, and then wait to be served. Photo by Smitha Gundavajhala.

The only thing this Cupertino location really has in common with the original Boudin SF is the bread, featured in all of the bakery’s dishes. Sourdough shows up in the form of bread bowls, sandwiches and even lightly toasted croutons in soups and salads. And while the menu might be on the pricey side for such conventional foods, the taste is unique and serving sizes are generous.

Their sandwiches, which are mostly bread, are on-and-off in terms of quality. The delicious Ham and Brie, for instance, is crafted with a savory smoked ham and thick slices of cheese. Punctuated by spicy mustard and a sprinkling of arugula, and served between warm sourdough, it tastes far better than the chicken and pesto sandwich, which is simultaneously dry and runny.

Other dishes are much more consistent. The rustic tomato soup is rich and piping hot, served with melted cheese and a dash of pepper (ground table-side by waiters). This simple soup is a welcome companion to any one of their many bread-based dishes.

The iconic clam-chowder-and-bread-bowl combination is as sublime as the tomato soup. Thick and creamy but bold in flavor, it serves as a great textural contrast to the crispy bread bowl. The bowl does not leak or get overly soggy, a plus. Photo by Yimeng Han.

Rounding off the meal, Boudin’s baking repertoire also features well-executed classic desserts. Their bittersweet chocolate brownie, a standout item, features a generous heaping of powdered sugar and chocolate chips, which complement each other and keep the perfectly textured brownie both flavorful and delicate.

The sourdough is featured heavily, but this is justified because it isn’t the starring attraction of the meal — Boudin bread is served soft, cold, and delectable. However, its presence is not gimmicky. It is rather a motif that permeates the entire restaurant chain, repeated on t-shirts the wait staff wear that read, “The Original San Francisco Sourdough.”

The service, at least during the grand opening on Mar. 20, was friendly and attentive. Food was served within minutes of ordering. Although our soups were accidently served in ceramics instead of bread bowls, the staff handled the issue swiftly and graciously.

Our verdict? We would come back, if only because we didn’t get to try the many salads, baguette burgers, and other baked goods in one trip. And for that, we give the dining experience at Boudin SF Cupertino a solid recommendation.

Boudin SF is located on 20682 Stevens Creek Blvd. Operating hours are Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.