Senior Sherry Roohi named Foundation Student of the Year

Senior Sherry Roohi collaborates with senior Eunice Lee on a page for El Valedor. Roohi’s position as photo editor of El Valedor was one of the many leadership positions that contributed to her recognition for the award. Photo by Joyce Varma.

From approximately 10,000 students in FUHSD,  one from each of the five schools is awarded the Foundation Student of the Year Award each year. This year, the award for MVHS was given to senior Sherry Roohi at the District Board Meeting held in the MVHS library on Mar. 5.

The Foundation Student of the Year Award recognizes a student who is well-rounded in academic and extracurricular activities. Roohi exemplifies this trait, serving as the president of Fashion Club,  photo editor of El Valedor and Lead Student Recognition Commissioner for ASB Leadership.

“It’s funny that you always think you don’t do enough,” Roohi said. “And then you realize that ‘No, I do too much!’”

Rather than basing selection on an application process or through nominations, Administration chooses the Student of the Year. Students are not even told whether or not they are considered for the award and are only notified if they are chosen. Roohi was informed of her selection in late February.

“[Principal April Scott] pulled me in, and she said, ‘Hey, you know this is something that’s really
special to us. You’ve been chosen to be our Foundation Student,’” Roohi said.

Roohi believes that she was chosen because she was able to thrive in an academically challenging environment and find a place among her peers with her multiple leadership positions and positive outlook.

“I made a niche for myself, and I juiced out as much as I could take from this school,” Roohi said. “I tried my best to take everything out of it, and I hope that other kids do the same.”