UC ups their price tag; students, start the college hunt

The Career Center is a great place to look up different colleges, research scholarships and internships, and so on. Photo by Stephanie Chang.

Due to the recent 9.6 percent UC tuition increase—an added $1,086 per year—effective this fall, California has erupted in a frenzy of protesting—sit-outs, walk-outs, strikes, and mini-riots from students, parents and staff alike.

It’s hard not to sympathize; many of us students at this school have been planning to attend or at least apply to UCs since our parents drilled the idea into our seven-year-old heads. With our intricately laid blueprints ripped, it seems like our only option left is to frantically press the red PANIC button over and over again.

Luckily, there are other ways to go about the situation.

Don’t just apply to UCs

Students should consider applying to other colleges, not just UCs, even if those colleges are out-of-state and possess an insignificant blip of a reputation in our sheltered community. Parents, too: be open to other options. Just because the college in question is relatively unknown does not mean that it is a bad school.

The exorbitant UC tuition fees is not the only parts of the college admission process that has been affected. Classes are being slashed left and right—for example, a survey conducted in February 2011 by students at UC Santa Cruz revealed that one in five art students at UCSC could not get the required classes within the Fall term. By not being able to get the classes needed, the students were set back in the long run as they could not graduate on time.

Not to mention that the UC tuition increase merely covers a quarter of the budget deficit. The rest will be compensated by increased out-of-state enrollment and administration efficiencies—furloughing and laying off employees, getting rid of certain programs, removing TAs, increasing class sizes, delaying hires—amongst other things.

College is difficult enough to apply and get into as it is, and now the scale is being tipped against us financially and quality-wise. Instead of focusing on just UCs, students should take the time to look outside our provincial community.

Out-of-state and private schools: “the sticker price” isn’t everything

When it comes to college tuition, the price isn’t always right.

However, starting late October, all colleges are required to put a ‘net cost’ calculator on their websites. There, students can calculate the net cost of attending the college after averaging the grants students will get from the federal and state governments, not to mention financial aid from the college themselves.The net price can significantly differ from the proclaimed tuition price, and may even be more affordable than UCs. Students should consider using this new tool as a way to open up their options and get around the tuition issue.

The advice

Research colleges early. It’s never too late to apply for funding, look up scholarships and find about the opportunities different colleges have to offer. In this budget crisis, we students need to get our act together, fast.

Parents, teachers and friends may tell you what to do for college and how you should do it, but ultimately, it’s your decision. Don’t limit yourself to just one state, or even one country. There are limitless paths for you to take on the road to your future. You just need to take the first step.