FIELD HOCKEY: MVHS loses with shaky defense against Leigh High School

The Matadors lost the game 0-2.
Junior Alexis Page keeps control as an LHS player attempts to steal the ball. The Matadors lost the game 0-2. Photo by Alaina Lui.

The Matadors are still unable to find the offense or defense to beat out other teams. Although the Matadors intercepted several of Leigh High School passes, they were never able to convert offensive opportunities into goals. Eventually LHS scored two goals to the Matadors’ zero.

In the first four minutes, junior Alexis Page intercepted a pass from LHS, only to have it taken by them again. LHS was able to create scoring opportunities from their take-aways, while the Matadors were unable to take full advantage of their interceptions.

Ten minutes into the game, the score remained 0-0 and MVHS called a timeout. As the game started again, junior Sarah Im stepped it up with two interceptions and several consecutive blocks. However, MVHS’ efforts did not last into the second half when LHS scored their first goal.

“There was just this one girl we couldn’t stop, and our defense was missing a lot of people, too,” Im said.

Im, along with seniors Katie Byrne and Holly Matsunami, pushed forward, but were unable to connect for a goal. Giving MVHS hope, junior Amelia Strom intercepted another LHS pass. However, after a series of corner shots, LHS gained possession despite Bryne making several attempts to regain the ball.

Yet, with numerous opportunities to score during the second half, the Matadors were unable to keep up on defense.

“We tried the hardest that we could, but in terms of intensity… they are a good team,” sophomore Arushi Agrawal said “it was a difficult game, but we did our best.”

When MVHS regained possession, Im drove the ball up the field and passed to sophomore Katie Sommers, but LHS successfully intercepted MVHS’ ball. Im continued to drive with every opportunity she got, and Bryne attempted to score, but faced repeated LHS blocks.

“As a team, we could have worked more together because we wanted it, but we didn’t want it enough,” Agrawal said.

Throughout the game, the Matadors were unable to hold strong possession of the ball. LHS scored their second goal in the last 10 seconds of the game, putting the game out of reach and handing the Matadors a 2-0 loss.

“I thought we deserved the win but I guess our play didn’t really come together,” Im said.

The Matadors’ next home game is on Oct. 26 against Del Mar High School.