Theatre: Vanity and pride pave the way for love

Jane Austen’s ‘Pride and Prejudice’ emerges as latest drama production

Jane Austen once said, “A large income is the best recipe for happiness I [have] ever heard of.”

This is precisely what drives the plot in “Pride and Prejudice”—the desire to create advantageous ties with the wealthiest and most respected people in society in order to climb the social ladder. As frivolous as it seems, there’s no denying that gossiping and scheming is entertaining, to a certain degree, to anyone in high school.

Seniors Aleksandra Evert and Yeshar Hadi walk down the stage as Jane Bennett and Charles Bingley. Performances of “Pride and Prejudice” will take place on March 11, 12, 18 and 19. Photo taken with permission from Holly Cornelison.That’s why the production of “Pride and Prejudice” is a must-see—you’ll be delighted by the opportunistic antics of Mrs. Bennett (senior Stella Ziegler), the headstrong will and sharp wit of Elizabeth Bennett (senior Karina Fathi), and most of all, the fact that “Lizzy” and Fitzwilliam Darcy (senior Gavin Muller) fall in love despite the differences between their social classes. Austen does not deviate from her principle—Darcy is almost obscenely rich—but the play is peppered with dry humor, making the hackneyed plot something completely different from what we’ve seen before.

The play opens with a histrionic Mrs. Bennett, who is very excited by the arrival of eligible bachelor Charles Bingley (senior Yeshar Hadi) to the local social scene. She immediately picks him out as the suitor of her eldest daughter Jane (senior Aleksandra Evert), and upon meeting at a ball, the two are immediately taken with each other. It’s a different story for the second Bennett daughter Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, who do not come across to each other as necessarily pleasant at first but develop feelings for each other.

Certain scenes reestablish the high quality of the directing—or maybe it’s the acting. The boundaries between what’s done by whom become blurred during the comic non-dialogue scene of Mr. Bingley’s repetitive visits to the Bennett residence, or the sarcasm of the characters, pronounced perfectly with just the right amount of smirk. Precise control of lighting and the quick transitions of scene, along with the soft pastels of the house, contribute to the overall mood the play conveys.

Aside from the commendable acting, another enjoyable part of the play was the choreography, executed in quaint little segments of Regency-era dances. The women wear delicate, lacy gowns and wigs of curly tresses, while the boys are dressed in the archetypal button-down coats and trousers tucked into smart boots—it isn’t hard to see why these costumes are the most expensive ever purchased for a production. Dancing on the stage in such garb, the actors easily transport the audience back to the whimsical world of the past, and two-and-a-half hours don’t seem that long, after all.

Ticket can be bought in advance at seatyourself.biz/montavista for $8-10 or at the door for $10-12.

{cc-by-sa}