The family side

The family side
"The Blind Side", based on the true life story of football player Michael Oher, does not fall under the typical teen movie
From the trailer, it was obvious which direction the movie would take: a poor black teenager is given a chance to become someone with a name. But don’t let that fool you. The life story of football player Michael Oher of the Baltimore Ravens may be the central focus of the movie, but director John Lee Hancock portrays more than a rags to riches story. He reveals the deeper meaning of having a family."The Blind Side" is the story of Baltimore Ravens football player Michael Oher's life before he goes professional. When he was a teen, he was taken in and supported by a white Southern family, who later adopts him as their son. Photo taken from Warner Bros.

The movie begins with teenager Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron)—homeless and without a real family. That is, until Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock) takes him off the streets and into her home. The Tuohys give him a home, food, clothes and love. From there, the movie goes on to tell the story of his struggle and uprise in becoming a football star. Although the movie may be centered around football, you don’t need to be a football maniac to understand the movie. There are scenes that incorporate football talk, but an explanation follows after.

However, between football and family, family holds reign. Leigh Anne Tuohy, the mother, is an interior designer who does not take no for an answer. A direct, fierce and demanding, yet caring character, she brings about witty humor to the movie. S.J. Tuohy (Jae Head), Michael’s brother and Miss Sue (Kathy Bates), Michael’s faithful tutor, are among the many characters who have quirky personalities that can bring laughter into the theater without cracking jokes. Almost all the characters radiate positive personas, helping make a mixture of heart touching emotional scenes and original humor which creates a warm family feel, which is probably why half of the audience was over 30 years old.

Michael easily steals the heart of his audience as well. A "gentle giant," teen boy, Michael epitomizes altruismhelping anyone, even his rivals who harshly mistreated him. Fortunately, his growth as a student and football player is realistic; he is not magnified by Hollywood as someone who started with a 0.0 G.P.A. and remarkably jumped to a 4.0 G.P.A. at the end of his education. It tells the real life story of Michael before he became a star, which only adds more to the family feel. The focus is more on Michael and the Tuohys, and how their relationship develops into something more powerful than a scholarship to play football. Simply put, the film is hearwarmingly honest.

Set in the South, cultural differences between the white Tuohys and Michael are apparent but not entirely emphasized. However, it still plays an important factor that contributes to the meaning of love and family in the film. Their differences may not be given much attention, but it is definitely felt and seen, which has more impact on the audience. Remember—show, don’t tell.

This beautiful film, true to it’s story, is especially recommended for those who are more low key and on the mellow side. But for those who are more into action packed, or pure humored films, you may want to sit back on this one. Thanksgiving is right around the corner, so skip ABC Family and hit up "The Blind Side" for some fam-bam.

{cc-by-nc-sa}