Music: Spring Concert captures the evening

A, B, Concert Choir and Variations perform for enthusiastic audience

A Choir, B Choir, Concert Choir, and Variations, held their annual Spring Choral Concert on May 16 in front of a full audience in the auditorium. There was no polite applause or modest shouting in support of the performers. Instead, there was screaming and shouting to match the deafening applause after each number.

A, B, Concert Choir and Variations perform their opening song, “Hello Goodbye” by The Beatles. Photo by Nona Penner. Seniors Brendan Lee and Netania Naik opened the performance with a short duet of the song, “Hello, Goodbye” by The Beatles, before A, B, Concert Choir and Variations joined in. With leaps and snaps and waves, the singers woke up the audience and put spring into their concert, even though it was gray and dreary outside.

Following the opening, Concert Choir sang “Haven’t Met You Yet” by Michael Buble, and “King of Anything” by Sara Bareilles. Brothers senior Chan Hyouk Park and freshman Chan Ui Park then hit the stage to sing “Nella Fantasia” from the 1986 film, “The Mission.” When they hit particularly emotional notes, the audience nearly drowned out their voices with shouting and applause.

High-five

Sophomores Maggie Maser and Samantha Lau performed a duet of “He Was Mine” by AJ Rafael, with Maser playing the guitar. Maser and Lau’s light and carefree voices were reminiscent of a quiet afternoon in the fall. By the end of the song, the rest of the choir was clapping along, and the pair finished their duet with a high-five.

“Oh, um … I’m Jacob, by the way.”

Junior Jacob Lui gave a vocally powerful solo of “Over My Head” by The Fray while playing the guitar, with an invitation to the audience to join in singing if they knew the lyrics. While the audience didn’t pitch in with singing, they did clap along to the beat after the song picked up. On the final note, the audience exploded with applause.

“That’s adorable.”

When seniors Jonathan Cheong and Kevin Lee walked out onto the stage to perform, three audience members stood up and saluted. And just when the audience thought they were going to hear “You’re It” by Gabe Bondoc and “We Could Happen” by AJ Rafael, Lee surprised everyone by doing a serenade to ask junior Eileen Wu to Senior Ball.

“Yeah, beat that box.”

Sophomores Eric Liu, Michael Abu-Omar, Krystal Ng, and juniors Israel Young and Aaron Ho performed “We’ll Be A Dream” by We the Kings. Liu gave a passionate performance on the piano and while Abu-Omar supplied the guitar melody. There was also no need for a drum set for this group because of Young’s beat-boxing.

B Choir followed up by singing “You Belong With Me” by Taylor Swift and “Hey Soul Sister” by Train. An enthusiastic applause for B Choir carried over to sophomore Saee Bhide and junior Jeremy Irvin’s performance of “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga.

Buh, buh, buh

Variations then took over the stage for the last part of the Spring Concert. The Alphapella group dressed up in black jackets and sang “Everybody in Love” by JLS. They were then joined by the rest of the Variations men to sit on stools and sing “Sweet Caroline” by Neil Diamond. Variations girls then claimed the stage with “Make a Man Out of You” from the Disney classic film “Mulan” and wielded wooden rods just as powerfully as their singing.

To finish up the night, Variations performed “Voice Dance“, a fitting ending. While the song was meant for wedding processions, the Spring Choral Pops Concert was a marriage of choreography, song, and attitude.

{cc-by-nc-sa}